Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart C4780 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently lost the ability to remotely scan documents with the HP Scan and Capture application (Version 40.0.245.0).

My Windows 10 (64-bit) laptop (Dell Studio 1749) can still send documents to my HP Photosmart C4780 to print wirelessly but I have to plug In the USB cable to scan because of the device cannot be found from the scan application. This happened suddenly a couple of weeks ago without any particular software or hardware changes.

The identical problem is described and apparently solved here :

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/HP-Scan-and-Capture-stopped-scanning-no...

but the driver that was offered as a solution is no longer available when I click on the link (which takes me to some sort of Amazon page).

When I click on "Capture Document" in the app, go to "settings" and "select a device," I have the option to a "Manual Search" which finds nothing whether I used the printer name or IP address.

Next to where it says "Available," there's a circular arrow rotating indefinitely as if it were searching for something.

I tried reading the HP Print and Scan Doctor that did not solve the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for getting back to me.

I respect your decision.

Yes, the smart app and HP Scan and Capture App are not compatible with the HP Photosmart C4780 All-in-One.

You can scan using windows scan, or Microsoft paint-

On Paint -

1. Open Paint. Not all models are compatible with all listed operating systems. ...
  2. Click File → From Scanner or Camera. If File is not available on the menu bar, click Alt on your keyboard, to display it.
  3. If prompted, select your scanner from the list and click OK.
  4. Choose your desired scan options. ...
  5. Click Scan.

Scan app-

Once your scanner is installed, use the Windows Scan app to scan a picture or document. Here's how:

Note: Need to install the Windows Scan app? You can get the app at Microsoft Store.

1. Make sure your scanner is turned on.
  2. In the search box on the taskbar, type Windows Scan, and then select Scan from the results.
  3. Do one of the following:
    • Place the item you want to scan face down on the scanner's flatbed and close the cover.
    • Place the item you want to scan in the scanner's document feeder.
  4. On the Scan page, do the following:
    • Under Scanner, select the scanner you want to use.
    • Under Source, select the location you prefer to scan from.
    • Under File type, select the type of file you want the scan to be saved as. For example, you can save the file in different file formats—such as JPEG, Bitmap, and PNG.
    • Select Show more to show the Save file to options.
    • Under Save file to, browse to the location where you want to save the scan.
  5. Select Scan at the bottom of the screen to scan your document or picture.
  6. After your scan is finished, select View to see the scanned file before you save it, or select Close to save it. You can edit the scanned document or picture in the preview that appears when you select View.

You may refer to Install and use a scanner in Windows 10

Let me know how this goes!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Bobcos1,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

HP Photosmart C4780 All-in-One Printer

I'd like to help!

I understand the printer is not found on HP Scan and capture.

HP Scan and Capture App is not compatible with the HP Photosmart C4780 All-in-One, you may refer to HP Scan and Capture App - Compatible Printers

HP Photosmart C4780 All-in-One Printer driver for windows 10 is not available from the HP website. However, you can install the printer using windows built-in drivers

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hello Jay,

Thanks for responding. If the app is not compatible with my printer, that must be a very recent development because I have been using it for at least a year with no problems at all until a couple of weeks ago. Either that, or the list of compatible printers in the link that you provided is not complete.

Additionally, as mentioned earlier, I can actually print documents from other applications. I don't know enough about computers to not if a driver can be partially corrupted, but part of it is working for sure.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts on that. Thank you again.

Any thoughts on that

HP Recommended

If the printer could be added to your computer with windows built-in drivers, you should be able to print.

The document is complete the app only supports the printers that are on the list.

I understand the app used to work earlier but after the HP smart app update, it does not support the printer anymore.

Hope this helps!

Keep me posted

HP Recommended

Hello Jay,

I am a little confused with what you wrote. Did you perhaps mean to write that "after the HP smart app update it does NOT support the printer."?

Perhaps I need to explain myself more clearly, just in case.

I ran this printer on the same laptop with no problems for over 10 years. But the HP application that came with the printer (HP Solution Center) was running on Flash, and is no longer supported.

That's when I had to make the switch to HP Scanner and Capture, which had worked flawlessly until last month. I reinstalled the app but that didn't solve the problem.

So this is where I am right now: the printer is installed and properly working on my Wi-Fi network. I just went over everything again. Printed test page, then immediately tried to scan it with HP Scanner and Capture. This is where the app tells me that the device cannot be found. But as I mentioned before, if I plug the printer into the laptop with the USB cable, then the app allows me to scan.

If the app is no longer compatible via Wi-Fi with my printer for some reason, it sounds like HP might be trying to get me to buy a newer one, when the one I have still meets all my needs. If there really is no software solution and I must purchase new hardware because mine has intentionally be made obsolete, I suppose I will just switch to another brand on general principle.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help.

HP Recommended

Thank you for getting back to me.

I respect your decision.

Yes, the smart app and HP Scan and Capture App are not compatible with the HP Photosmart C4780 All-in-One.

You can scan using windows scan, or Microsoft paint-

On Paint -

1. Open Paint. Not all models are compatible with all listed operating systems. ...
  2. Click File → From Scanner or Camera. If File is not available on the menu bar, click Alt on your keyboard, to display it.
  3. If prompted, select your scanner from the list and click OK.
  4. Choose your desired scan options. ...
  5. Click Scan.

Scan app-

Once your scanner is installed, use the Windows Scan app to scan a picture or document. Here's how:

Note: Need to install the Windows Scan app? You can get the app at Microsoft Store.

1. Make sure your scanner is turned on.
  2. In the search box on the taskbar, type Windows Scan, and then select Scan from the results.
  3. Do one of the following:
    • Place the item you want to scan face down on the scanner's flatbed and close the cover.
    • Place the item you want to scan in the scanner's document feeder.
  4. On the Scan page, do the following:
    • Under Scanner, select the scanner you want to use.
    • Under Source, select the location you prefer to scan from.
    • Under File type, select the type of file you want the scan to be saved as. For example, you can save the file in different file formats—such as JPEG, Bitmap, and PNG.
    • Select Show more to show the Save file to options.
    • Under Save file to, browse to the location where you want to save the scan.
  5. Select Scan at the bottom of the screen to scan your document or picture.
  6. After your scan is finished, select View to see the scanned file before you save it, or select Close to save it. You can edit the scanned document or picture in the preview that appears when you select View.

You may refer to Install and use a scanner in Windows 10

Let me know how this goes!

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your help. I will follow your instructions and use one of the other two options.

HP Recommended

You're welcome 🙂

I am glad I could help!

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us. 

Have a great day ahead!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.