Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Color Laserjet Pro MFP 4301fdw
Microsoft Windows 11

I'm trying to use the HP Scan software to my 4301fdw printer.  This has worked in the past but is no longer working.  The HP Scan software says that it can not find the printer.  If i use HP Smart software, it can see the printer and tell me the ink levels.  If i try to scan from HP Smart it can scan things using the printer.  The HP Scan software is the only thing that does not talk to the printer.  I downloaded and installed using the repair option the Full_Webpack-63.4.6159-SJ0001_Full_Webpack.exe which is the latest version of HP Scan.  No luck.  I also updated the firmware to the latest version using by using a web browser and hitting the IP address of the printer.  The firmware on the printer is 6.17.3.269-202405221647.  Are there any ideas on how to get the HP Scan to work.  I'm leaning towards something wrong with the printer because I have tried from 2 different machines that just a few months ago were able to scan using HP Scan.  

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @JvCoach23,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you've tried several troubleshooting steps already, which is great. Given that the HP Scan software is not connecting while HP Smart can, this suggests that the issue might be related to the HP Scan software itself or its configuration, rather than the printer.

Here are a few additional steps you can try to resolve this issue:

Check Network Configuration:

• Ensure the Printer is on the Same Network: Double-check that both your printer and the computer are connected to the same network.
  • IP Address Consistency: Ensure that the printer's IP address has not changed. If it's set to obtain an IP address automatically (via DHCP), you might want to set a static IP address for the printer in your router settings.

Firewall/Antivirus Settings:

• Disable Firewall/Antivirus Temporarily: Sometimes, firewalls or antivirus software can block communication between the HP Scan software and the printer. Try temporarily disabling them to see if the HP Scan can connect.

Remove and Reinstall HP Scan:

• Uninstall HP Scan: Uninstall the HP Scan software completely from your computer.
  • Remove Printer from Devices: Go to the Devices and Printers section on your computer, remove the HP printer, and restart your computer.
  • Reinstall the Software: Reinstall the HP Scan software using the Full_Webpack file you downloaded, ensuring to follow any prompts during installation.

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor:

• Download and Run HP Print and Scan Doctor: HP provides a troubleshooting tool called HP Print and Scan Doctor. This tool can diagnose and fix many common issues related to HP printers and scanners. Download it from the HP website, run it, and follow the on-screen instructions.

Check Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) Service:

• Open Services: Press Win + R, type services.msc, and hit Enter.
  • Find Windows Image Acquisition (WIA): Ensure that this service is running. If it's not, start it and set it to start automatically.

Check for Updates:

• Update Windows: Ensure that your Windows operating system is fully updated.
  • Update HP Software: Check if there are any updates available for the HP Scan software.
I am an HP Employee.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I've also tried to do a Restore All Factory Defaults by connecting to the printer thru it's website and choosing General/Restore Default Settings/Restore All Factory Defaults.  The reset takes place and I can connect to the printer by printing to it, hitting it with the website, HP Smart can connect to it and scan but HP Scan still can not find the printer.

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi @JvCoach23,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you've tried several troubleshooting steps already, which is great. Given that the HP Scan software is not connecting while HP Smart can, this suggests that the issue might be related to the HP Scan software itself or its configuration, rather than the printer.

Here are a few additional steps you can try to resolve this issue:

Check Network Configuration:

• Ensure the Printer is on the Same Network: Double-check that both your printer and the computer are connected to the same network.
  • IP Address Consistency: Ensure that the printer's IP address has not changed. If it's set to obtain an IP address automatically (via DHCP), you might want to set a static IP address for the printer in your router settings.

Firewall/Antivirus Settings:

• Disable Firewall/Antivirus Temporarily: Sometimes, firewalls or antivirus software can block communication between the HP Scan software and the printer. Try temporarily disabling them to see if the HP Scan can connect.

Remove and Reinstall HP Scan:

• Uninstall HP Scan: Uninstall the HP Scan software completely from your computer.
  • Remove Printer from Devices: Go to the Devices and Printers section on your computer, remove the HP printer, and restart your computer.
  • Reinstall the Software: Reinstall the HP Scan software using the Full_Webpack file you downloaded, ensuring to follow any prompts during installation.

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor:

• Download and Run HP Print and Scan Doctor: HP provides a troubleshooting tool called HP Print and Scan Doctor. This tool can diagnose and fix many common issues related to HP printers and scanners. Download it from the HP website, run it, and follow the on-screen instructions.

Check Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) Service:

• Open Services: Press Win + R, type services.msc, and hit Enter.
  • Find Windows Image Acquisition (WIA): Ensure that this service is running. If it's not, start it and set it to start automatically.

Check for Updates:

• Update Windows: Ensure that your Windows operating system is fully updated.
  • Update HP Software: Check if there are any updates available for the HP Scan software.
I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Use a Different User Account:

• Try a Different Account: Create a new user account on your computer and try to scan using the HP Scan software from that account. This can help identify if the issue is related to the user profile.

Compatibility Mode:

• Run in Compatibility Mode: Right-click on the HP Scan software shortcut, go to Properties > Compatibility, and try running the program in compatibility mode for an earlier version of Windows.

If these steps don’t resolve the issue, the problem could be a deeper compatibility issue between HP Scan and the latest firmware or software updates.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

The problems has been fixed.  Here is what was done.   I reset the printer back to factory settings using the web interface.  Next was an add/remove of the "HP Scan Basic Device Software".  That software was installed in 2023, sorry i didn't make a note of the version.  I downloaded and installed a new version of the software - 63.4.6159.24191.  Once that was installed the scanning software was able to connect to the printer and i could scan.  I can also hit the scan button on the printer and send the job to the documents folders on the computer.  Hope that is helpful.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi @JvCoach23,

Thank you for your response, 

Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.