Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cannot get the scan icon on my taskbar.  I am unable to scan.  Only print and copy.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums. Can you try the following:

Please Download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor (PSDR) tool to diagnose and fix your problem

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-926&h_lang=en&h_client=s-h-e016-1&h_keyword=dg-PDU

Hope that helps.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have already run the scan doctor.  It tells me that it cannot fix the scan problem as there is no connection between printer and computer.   There is.   A USB cable.  Also, I have tried changing ports to no avail.

HP Recommended

I do not know if the solution will be to un install the HP printer and then re install.   If that is the cae, please direct me to a site which will give step by step instructions for a windows 10 computer, for doing so.   As I am not a computer geek, I need an idiots guide!

HP Recommended

Hi,

The USB is connected?  Let's try to uninstall and reinstall.

However, DO NOT plug in the USB cable until prompted to do so by the software.

If you are not sure how to uninstall and reinstall, the following resource will walk you through the steps:

How to Uninstall Download & Reinstall a Printer software

If the FULL feature software is needed, try this link:

The following resource will help you :

https://support.hp.com/sg-en/drivers

Key in your printer model, Operating System and download & install the FULL feature software.

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

Hi,

First of all, thanks for trying.

I tried all that to no avail.  Interestingly, after the full download from the HP website, when I selected the printer logo, it tried for 35 seconds to start the scan.  Usually, that took 4 seconds before it reverted to print.   When selecting scan to computer on the printer, it says that there is no connection between computer and printer.  That is the same message that "Scan Doctor" gives.

Where do I go from here ?

HP Recommended

Hi,

If you're trying to Scan from computer, follow these steps: 

How to Scan to Computer

Once you have installed the software:

1. Click on the printer Icon (on your desktop) and it will bring up the HP Printer Assistant.
2. Under the Scan menu, there is a “Manage Scan to Computer”, click on that.
3. Make sure that you “Enable” Scan to Computer. Also make sure the tab “Automatically start Scan to Computer when I log on to Windows” is checked if you want to make this feature permanent. (the following video will show you how)

Scan to Computer
Scan to Computer (New UI)
How to use "Scan to Computer" properly

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I am unable to bring up the scan selector when clicking on the printer icon.  That has been the problem all along.  Although it says "print and scan" all that comes up is the print selection.  Under windows 7, the scan selector was available.  Windows 10 does not allow that as yet.

HP Recommended

HI,

Can you try this:

HP Scan Extended

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

Hope that helps!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.