Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8710
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

How do I scan both sides of a business card, or a small pamphlet, into a single page of a PDF file, using an HP OfficeJet Pro 8710  All In One?

Please note that I am NOT asking how to scan both sides of a card, or a page (or two small pages) into a single PDF document - that is easy and I can do that. But I want to know how to scan both sides of a two sided card into ONE PAGE of a PDF document. I want to end up with a one-page PDF document.

Does it have anything to do with the Merge function which is currently Disabled and I cannot work out how to "Enable" it?

Unfortunately the 8710 User's Manual does not say anything about the Merge button and a word-search of the manual shows that the word Merge or Merging does not even appear anywhere in the Manual.

Thanks for anyone who can tell me how to do this.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Support Community.

This is quite unusual request but here's how I would approach this request:

1. Scan 1 side first as a JPEG

2. Scan the 2nd side as a JPEG

3 Attach the 2 JPEG into a Microsoft Word page and "Save As" a PDF file.

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Hi Greenturtle. Thank you but your answer is not helpful.

I want to know if there is a way of doing this task using the scanner and the software that HP provides with the scanner.

The task I want to do is NOT unusual. It is quite common for me to have to scan a card (or ID) and email it to somebody, and for them to be able to print it on one page. Or I want to scan someone's business card and have both sides of the card visible on one PDF page.

Thanks for trying but your suggestion is far too cumbersome for my needs.

You don't get excellence by pooling ignorance.
Believe nothing - Check everything.
HP Recommended

Hi,

What you ask for, the HP Scan software cannot perform a such.

The HP Scan software does not provide any merge capabilities as you would like, it only allows scanning any original into a page, either in a single file or in a separate file.

I don't know any other software to allow such capabilities, however, that would likely be an editing program, HP Software does not provide any such capabilities as you look for.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thank you.

You mention that "The HP Scan software does not provide any merge capabilities as you would like".

However, in the HP-Scan software there is a "Merge" button that is disabled. (See bottom right of the screen shot below.)

HP-ScanScreenshot.jpg

Do you (or does anybody) know what this "Merge" button does? Or how to enable it.

I have looked in the User's Guide but there is no mention of the Merge button at all, or what it does, or how to enable it.

Thanks

You don't get excellence by pooling ignorance.
Believe nothing - Check everything.
HP Recommended

Ok.

I was not even aware of that option, from seeing its description I can see it is intended for that exact purpose to merge a two-sided original into a single page by scanning both sides from the ADF.

By playing around with the software, I can see that by changing the Page Sides option to 2 - Sided, the merge option becomes available:

12.JPG

Now, when enabling Merge it seems to merge both sides to a single page:

123.JPG

However, please consider, the automatic document feeder is only intended for Plain Paper, 60 to 90 gsm - see the Paper tray capacities section.

As well, the ADF only support select paper sizes, see the Supported paper sizes section on this matter.

you may find the printer specifications below, such information is listed within the Paper-handling specifications section:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04959111

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.