Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Hp 8710
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to scan documents straight to my compter but I'm stuck. I have the HP software set up on my computer and can remotely print and scan, but when I choose "scan to computer" on my printer screen, it just says that I need the HP software setup on my computer....which I do. 

And that is all the information it gives! So what else do I do? If I go into the software on my computer and into scanning settings, there are only options to set up scan to email and scan to network folder. No mention of scanning to computer. Help? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Retro_uk

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Forums.

I came across your post and would like to assist. 

I understand that you have an HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer and it is connected to the wireless network. You would like to scan from the printer directly to the computer. I appreciate your efforts in troubleshooting this issue and have certainly done a good job.

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Please click here to download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor. This is a free tool that will detect and fix any issues with the printer drivers.

The Printer Assistant should be present on your computer because you have installed the full featured drivers. If the printer assistant is absent then you may uninstall the existing drivers (https://hp.care/2H6wdkf) and reinstall via this link: https://hp.care/2GS1cTz

Please open the printer assistant and perform the following steps:

• Click Print, Scan & Fax , and then click Scan .
  • Select Manage Scan to Computer.
  • Click Enable.

How yo should be able to scan to your computer. 

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

All the best! 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Retro_uk

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Forums.

I came across your post and would like to assist. 

I understand that you have an HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer and it is connected to the wireless network. You would like to scan from the printer directly to the computer. I appreciate your efforts in troubleshooting this issue and have certainly done a good job.

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Please click here to download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor. This is a free tool that will detect and fix any issues with the printer drivers.

The Printer Assistant should be present on your computer because you have installed the full featured drivers. If the printer assistant is absent then you may uninstall the existing drivers (https://hp.care/2H6wdkf) and reinstall via this link: https://hp.care/2GS1cTz

Please open the printer assistant and perform the following steps:

• Click Print, Scan & Fax , and then click Scan .
  • Select Manage Scan to Computer.
  • Click Enable.

How yo should be able to scan to your computer. 

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi there. I ended up phoning the support guys and spoke to a really nice fella who remotely accessed my laptop to see what was going on.

I had installed the HP smart app when I set up this printer, as my laptop has no DVD drive to install the included dvd software that came with the printer. So I went to the windows store and found the HP smart app, which claims to be able to set up scan to computer, which it can to some degree. But I'm sure as you know, doesn't let the scan to computer work from the control panel on the printer itself.

The solution was indeed, to install the full feature software package, and then set up everything from that.

One question, during the setup process the chap who was helping me, quickly skipped over the part where it asked for my postcode. He just put 0's in instead.

I'd like to go back into the software and correct that and have everything setup including my postcode, as I like to do things fully 🙂

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Retro_uk

You're welcome. 

I'm glad that you were able to get the issue fixed. I truly appreciate your patience and efforts.

You will have to uninstall the drivers and reinstall them again to in order to enter the correct zip code. However, the zip code will not impact the printing and the scanning functions in anyway.

Hope this helps. 

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Take care! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.