Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8139e All-in-One Printer

When using Web Scan to scan documents, the scanned documents are displayed to the user via a generated URL that points back to the printers IP address, like so:

blob:https://192.168.0.165/f12e4d2d-47f3-4080-bcc3-c45e4935287b

So clearly the scanned documents are stored on the printer somewhere in order to serve them up when the user hits this URL.

How long are these documents stored, and how do I delete them on demand? We need to do this whenever we scan sensitive content such as tax information.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ArtThomas 

You are welcome.

OK - so no different than expected.

The Blob is temporary in your setup, too.

Good and Fine.

Happy Scanning!

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click my Post "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@ArtThomas 

Welcome to the HP Community --

Interesting...

I'm not aware that the "Blob" file persists beyond the local (current) browser and that browser's current session.

During the time the file remains available in the browser, it should not be accessible by other browsers.

Local addresses are not supposed to be accessible outside of your network.  For example, as it should be, I cannot see your internal network address(es) to that file or any other.

What are you seeing differently?

For those reading - A sample - Webscan Scanned content - Blob URL

Webscan_Scanned_Content_Save_1Webscan_Scanned_Content_Save_1

=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=

References / Resources

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources

Learn about your Printer - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories: Alerts, Troubleshooting, Ink & Paper, HP Software / Drivers / Firmware Updates , Setup & User Guides, Product Specifications, Account & Registration, Warranty & Repair

Open 

HP OfficeJet Pro 8139e All-in-One Printer  

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks Dragon-Fur. I did some more testing on this today. I scanned a document, then copied the URL from Safari and pasted it into a Chrome Incognito window, and the URL did not work - I got "File not found". I then tried the same URL but in a new tab in Safari and it still did not work.

According to this post, "These URLs can only be used locally in the single instance of the browser and in the same session (ie. the life of the page/document).". So it appears to be safe and the document can only be read by the browser that did the scanning.

re: local vs external IPs - I was still worried if a local IP could access the documents, but apparently it's not a concern.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@ArtThomas 

You are welcome.

OK - so no different than expected.

The Blob is temporary in your setup, too.

Good and Fine.

Happy Scanning!

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.