Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Hp Officejet Pro 8720 All-in-One
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

Hello, 

I am having issues enabling my printer to use the "Scan to Computer" feature. I would like help or advice on how to enable this feature. I am using a Hp OfficeJet 8720 All-in-One Printer on MacOS Big Sur also using the Hp Smart Application.

Please allow me to jot down what I have tried to do already. I have Downloaded Hp Smart.  I have used the Hp Smart Application and have gone to > Printer Settings > Advanced Settings > Scan Tab > Scan to Computer. Where, here I am prompted with a message that says, "You cannot use this function because it has been disabled." I have looked throughout the application to look for an option that states that I can enable this. However, I cannot find any option. 

I have also looked online for similar scanning issues and it keeps telling me that I need to use the Hp Utility Application. However, I believe this application has been discontinued and replaced with Hp Smart since I cannot find a download link doesn't that refer me to the Hp website. 

I have also tried resetting the printer to factory settings and I am willing to try this again, but this did not work for me either. 

Going forward from here, I am a bit confused about what to do next. So, if you have encountered a similar issue and have found a solution, please message me.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

HP Smart does not allow scanning to the computer from the front panel.

You do have the option for the 8720 printer by installing its essential software, then enable Scan to Computer via HP Utility, both options are available for your printer at HP Support:

Please follow below version of HP Easy Start, as soon as it launches open the top HP Easy Start menu and select Uninstall HP Software.

Follow the steps on screen and then click on Set Up New Device and follow the steps to install both the HP Easy Scan and HP Essential Software options, once completing the installation you will be able to scan from the printer front panel:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Applications/HP_Easy_Start.app.zip

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

HP Smart does not allow scanning to the computer from the front panel.

You do have the option for the 8720 printer by installing its essential software, then enable Scan to Computer via HP Utility, both options are available for your printer at HP Support:

Please follow below version of HP Easy Start, as soon as it launches open the top HP Easy Start menu and select Uninstall HP Software.

Follow the steps on screen and then click on Set Up New Device and follow the steps to install both the HP Easy Scan and HP Essential Software options, once completing the installation you will be able to scan from the printer front panel:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Applications/HP_Easy_Start.app.zip

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.