Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
MacBook Pro 2018
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I cannot figure out how to set up scanning directly from the printer screen. I can access scanning on my laptop via 'HP Smart' app by pressing 'Scan', however when I press the 'Scan' button on the printer LCD screen, it comes up with a message saying 'No Computer Found'. I have followed all instructions and still hasn't fixed. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @nicolefarkas

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I understand you would like to scan directly from the printer screen. I'd be happy to assist you. Let us try these steps:

HP Smart app does not support Scan to computer feature. Enabling Scan to computer using HP Utility may resolve the issue. Let's try these steps:

1.) On your Mac, click Finder, click Applications, click the Hewlett-Packard or HP folder, then double-click HP Utility. (If HP Utility is not available, download and install the printer essential software from here

2.) Under Scan Settings, click Scan to Computer, then make sure the Enable Scan to Computer checkbox is selected.

https://lithium-response-prod.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/hpcsc.response.lithium.com/RESPONSEIMAGE/946f6e5f-68db-4b93-a3ad-831e2c463488.default.png

3.) Try to scan.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar, 

Thanks for replying. After some troubles, I've finally managed to get the printer to display in the HP Utility Device list, however it is shaded light grey and when clicking on both of the options that appear, this is the message I get: 

Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 9.37.57 am.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 9.38.06 am.png

What should I do now?

Nicole 

HP Recommended

Hi @nicolefarkas,

Thanks for replying.

Try the steps below to resolve the issue-

Remove and add the printer

Click the Apple menu, and then select System Preferences.

Depending on your operating system version, click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.

Click the name of your printer, click the Minus sign, and then delete the printer.

Select printer and click the minus sign

Click the Plus sign, and then click Add Printer or Scanner.

Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select AirPrint

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

Click Add to add the printer to the list.

Try to print.

NOTE: Make sure to select bonjour multifunction when adding the printer.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, go to the public post & give us a virtual high-five by clicking the "Thumbs Up" icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on my public post.

Have a great day ahead!

HP Recommended

Hi, I have tried all of the suggestions below however I am still unable to press the 'Scan' button directly on the printer screen and succesffuly scan. It comes up with a message on the printer saying 'No Computer Found!' with options for using HP Software for Windows or the EWS for Mac (which I have). I have used the EWS however when I am in the 'scan' settings of this, there is no way to enable an option for 'scan from printer to computer' etc. 

I have uninstalled and reinstallled printer off the computer, ensured all settings are correct. 

I have used the HP utility program on the Mac to see if I can set up the scan from printer to the computer, however it will not find the printer no matter what I try. I have tried several settings, finding it manually. I have even connected the printer with the USB to the back of the computer and this is still the error that shows up on the computer:

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 9.22.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-03-23 at 9.22.34 PM.png

Is there any possibility for me to press the 'scan' button on the printer screen and be able to scan directly from the printer to the computer / email etc.? We were able to do this on our previus HP Office Jet - however we had to return it due to continuous breakdowns and the salesperson highly recommended this SmartTank machine instead due to very high ink efficiency + the same printing + scanning abilities. 

Nicole

HP Recommended

@nicolefarkas

Check if the date and time are set correctly on the printer.

On the printer screen, go to Setup > Preferences > Date and time.

Make sure the macOS is up to date with the latest software updates.

Click here to know how to update your MAC.

macOS 10.15.3 has a fix for scan to computer.

Once updated, try scanning. If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Uninstall HP Printer Software

Refer to this document to know how.

Now, click here to download the printer driver. Try scanning.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the programs that you linked, as well as ensured my Mac is up to date. It is running macOS 10.15.4 and no updates available. 

On the printer screen, it still displays 'No computer found' when I press the 'scan' button on its screen. 

I will return the printer tomorrow and get a different one instead. It is clear that the HP Smart Tank Plus 655 does not have the ability to scan directly from the printer screen. Such a shame of the poor quality and abilities considering the price of this printer is quite expensive compared to others that can do such a basic feature. 

HP Recommended

@nicolefarkas, that's unfortunate.

If you have already uninstalled all the HP drivers from the MAC and reinstalled the printer using the HP driver and the issue persists, please contact our HP Support team for further assistance:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.