Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The option to select an OCRed document output, aka searchable PDF, does not appear to be available in the HP Smart app.  The product box says that it supports OCR.  No other scanning software packages appear to be available for download from the 6978 Software & Driver page.  There are some related forum posts that hit around the issue, but don't solve the problem:

1) This post asks the question: Does OCR support exist for the 6978?, but the solution doesn't answer where the feature is or how to enable it: link.

2) This post states that to get to the OCR feature (on a similar model) that you have to download the "HP Full Feature Software" and gives a link, but the link is broken: link.

So far I have not found a solution. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Download and install the HP Universal Scan Drivers, this will add OCR capabilities to your HP Scan software:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/SJ0001/MFPs/Full_Webpack-51.6.5453-SJ0001_Full_We...

As a reference, please see below support document:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_6106412-6106481-16

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

As suggested, I downloaded and installed the Full Webpack 51.6.5453-SJ0001 package.  While it was installing I did see a message about installing an OCR module.  After that I also updated my version of HP Print and Scan Doctor to version 5.6.6.  After running HP Print and Scan Doctor, it install some recommended updates.  Then I ran it again to make sure it came up clean, and it did.  Now when I run HP Scan (version 2.1.0.5887) from the desktop shortcut, it lists no scanners.  When it then searches for the scanner on the wireless network, it can't find it—even though it sees the correct wireless network.  Then when it prompts for the printer's IP address and I type it in, it still can't find it.  The printer is accessible because I can ping it at that IP address, and I can get to the embedded web server via a browser.  I am not using any add-on firewall software.  I have even tried specifically allowing this app in the Windows Firewall and listing it as an exception in my antivirus software; neither of those actions made any difference.  This particular application appears to not be compatible with the HP OfficeJet Pro 6978.

The original software bundle that I installed with the HP OfficeJet 6970 Pro app ("C:\Program Files\HP\HP OfficeJet Pro 6970\Bin\HP OfficeJet Pro 6970.exe" -Start UDCDevicePage) is able to launch its version of HP Scan which does see scanner and can scan documents; it just doesn't have an OCR option.

Also the download page for the HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 does not list a Universal Scan Driver.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you launched the HP  Officejet Pro 6970 software and selected Scan a Document or Photo following the HP Universal Scan software installation?

The universal scan driver should be installed to add OCR option for your original printer scanning software with an added scan as Editable Text option, it should not locate your printer on its own,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Yes, that's precisely what I did try.  I launched the HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 app, then selected scan document, then HP Scan launched, but no scan to PDF with OCR option shows up.

GreatIndoors_0-1660528298018.png

Like I mentioned, it doesn't appear that this particular package, Full_Webpack-51.6.5453-SJ0001_Full_Webpack.exe, is compatible with the OfficeJet Pro 6978.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.