Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

I had an OfficeJet Pro 8600 that recently died.  On that printer I had set up the feature Scan to Network Folder, which worked flawless and quickly.  I replaced the 8600 with a new OfficeJet 8630.  Configured the Scan to Network Folder feature identically to how the 8600 worked.  When testing the connection via the web interface, the connection times out and says there is a problem with the settings.  However, if you go to the printer and initial a scan to a network folder, the screen on the printer displays "connecting" and after about 3-4 minutes the document scans to the network folder. 

HP support had no suggestions other than sending me a replacement printer, but it behaved the same way and was returned.  Out of ideas.  Anyone having similar issues or have any suggstions?

Rob

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @relliscmh,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand that you HP Officejet pro 8630 is scanning slowly to your network folder, and I am happy to help!

I would recommend to go through these two guides:

Hope these guides help, and have a great day! Smiley Happy

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Rob - I encountered the same trouble just today while installing the HP 8630 on a network.  Eventually the scans would go to the computers but it took quite a while - maybe two or three minutes - for the scan to complete.

I resolved the trouble by substituting the IP address of the computer that hosted the target network folder for the name of that computer.  For example, if the network file path was listed as \\david\8630scans, I changed it to read \\192.168.1.122\8630scans.

After repowering the 8630, the scan connection was practically instantaneous and the scan proceeded normally and as intended.  You should be able to make this change using the web interface in the scan to a network folder section.  Apparently there is some sort of name resolution problem that is bypassed by using IP addresses.

Be sure to repower the 8630 after you make the changes to the network path.

HP Recommended

Orwiz,

I just tried your suggestion and it worked perfectly!  Don't know why I didn't think of it.  Thank you for the suggestion and fix.

Rob

HP Recommended

Hi - same fix worked for me.  Inconvenient when the IP address of the server changes in my DHCP enironment.  Seems like a pretty simple thing for HP to reproduce and publish a fix. 

To be clear my settings in "Scan to Network Folder Setup" are:

\\mainserver\my scans - This ultimatelyt works and the scan shows up in the correct folder, but it takes about 2 minutes for a scan to start

\\192.168.0.104\my scans - This works, the scan shows up in the correct folder, and the scans start as as START SCAN is pressed on the printer

HP Recommended

I am having similar issues with my OfficeJet 8625.  I think I have found a work around (which does not make sense to me).  Set the DNS on the printer manually and use Google's DNS servers instead of whatever DNS server is being specified by the DHCP server.

Primary 8.8.8.8

Secodary 8.8.4.4

This has worked for me flawlessly.  I am scanning using the computer name with no issues.  

I know my old OfficeJet 8500 A909n has no issues whatsoever.  I am still trying to work with HP on this to get it resolved as it appears to be something in their firmware across what looks like maybe several printers.

HP Recommended

After doing more of my own troubleshooting, I think I may have a real solution.   I found on my printer in the Ehanced Web Server (EWS) under Network->Advanced Settings->Advanced DHCP Settings that the "Enable DHCPv4 FQDN (in compliance with RFC 4702)" was unchecked and DHCPv6 was checked.  This apparently is the default, because when I was troubleshooting with HP they had me do a reset on the printer which reset it to the default settings.  Why they would have the defaults this way, I have no idea.  I uchecked the DHCPv6 and checked the DHCPv4 FQDN.  I then went back to the wirless settings and removed my Manual DNS entries.  My printer is now working great when scanning to network folders.

I am not that big of a network guy, just know enough to sometimes get into trouble.  I would assume though that if you are not fully using IPv6 on your network (which probably most are not), then you probably don't want the IPv6 or DHCPv6 enabled on your printer.  Hope this helps people.

Now I really hope HP takes this information and does something with it.

HP Recommended

Not sure if anyone is still active in here but could you specify where you're accessing these settings?  Am I looking for this on the printer itself, in the settings?  Or are we talking about software on the computer that remotely edits the settings of the printer?

HP Recommended

This is done in the settings using the embedded web server software via the brower on your computer.  You should be able to access it by opening a browser and entering the IP address of your printer on your local network.  As an example, my printer's IP is 192.168.1.205.  Once on the main page you click the option for SCAN TO NETWORK FOLDER.  You'll access the settings there. 

I hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Yes, very helpful.  Jeremy, your fix worked for me.  Had to restart the printer first but it now works wonderfully.  Thank you all for the help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.