Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Envy 5540
iOS

I scanned some legal documents as PDF and when I came to view them they are password protected!

I didn't choose that as an option. I have never password protected a document. I don't know what the password is likely to be.

Help I need to view these documents and I don't have them any more!!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Peter_J_J 

The protection might have been added to the documents prior to your possession of them.

Some legal documents cannot be copied, scanned, or edited - some cannot even be viewed outside of the author's restrictions placed on the documents.

You could try scanning the documents as an image.

What else?

Contact the original author of the documents and ask the the documents are protected against scan / copy.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Wow I didn't know that you could put something in printed text that would cause my HP printer to password protect a document.

I don't have the document any more so I will need to get in touch with the author to find out what they have done.

Thanks... 

HP Recommended

@Peter_J_J 

@Peter_J_J wrote:

Wow I didn't know that you could put something in printed text that would cause my HP printer to password protect a document.

I don't have the document any more so I will need to get in touch with the author to find out what they have done.

Thanks... 

You are welcome.

The printer did not password protect the document. 

IF the document is protected, the change was made to the document, not the printer.

Open your favorite document,

To learn what this is:

Search for "password protect document"

To learn how to print a protected document,

Search for "password protect document against printing" (or whatever makes sense to you)

Some browsers might ignore security in a document (and will allow the content to be printed)

Print the PDF file as an image

Scan the content and save as an image.

Unless the document is protected at a very high level,

Snip (grab a print-screen) of the content, save as an image, and print that.

Stay Safe

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I need to password protect my scanned docs before exporting. Do I have that option on an HJ Plus/4155 series? I didn't see it and I need that feature at times (like now) :] 

This is a new-to-me printer and frustrating on several levels compared to my last printer

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I need to email password protected files asap.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.