Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6978
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Printer won't scan.  Message says printer is not connected, but it will print, so it is connected to some extent.  I tried a different WiFi conection which said it was a "Direct" connection with the printer, but this required a "WPA@ password", which I've never heard of and don't have — and can't get without another password I don't have.

The issue is puzzling, because I have often scanned successfully before, never had to enter strange passwords.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Nong1,

Good Day.  Thank you for posting your query in the HP community.  I read the post regarding issues with scanning but not printing. I will be delighted to assist you here.

Superb description and spectacular troubleshooting and commendable diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

To assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this:

• Did this happen after a recent software or OS update?

For now, please try these steps:

Please perform a hard reset on the printer from this link: https://hp.care/2FoANc6 and follow instructions from the section “Step 1: Reset the printer

• Then if the operating system is MAC and you use a MacBookPro or a  Mac computer then perform all the relevant steps from this link: https://hp.care/2JPlye2 (HP Printers - Network Scanner Connection Error (Mac)
    Step 1: Confirm if the issue is also printing-related
  • Step 2: Restart devices and check driver scan settings
  • Step 3: Check the network and printer connection status
  • Step 4: Check third-party firewall software settings
  • Step 5: Remove and re-add the printer.
  • Step 6: Uninstall the printer driver and software
  • Step 7: Reinstall the latest scan driver and software

Please ensure to remove the printer and re-add the printer only as Apple AirPrint or Secure AirPrint and nothing else as this printer supports Apple AirPrint.

• Don’t add it as an HP printer.
  • Now check for issue resolution by using Apple AirPrint or  Apple Image Capture to scan.

This should do the trick for you. If the issue continues, then try these steps:

• Remove the printer again and update the printer software using the Apple Software update by following instructions from this link: https://hp.care/2wU8ONm (HP Printers - Installing a Mac Print Driver Using Apple Software Update)
  • Now check again by using Apple AirPrint or Apple Image capture to scan. This should work.
  • If the issue persists, then you could perform the remaining steps 8 and 9 and check the FAQs.

• Step 8: Try other scanning solutions
  • Step 9: Reset the print system do this step only as a last resort if nothing else works
  • Frequently asked questions- How do I scan if I added the printer using AirPrint?
  • Also please ensure that you update your Mac OS completely to all of its latest updates.

This should do the trick for you.

Perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. Good luck to you. I will keep a watch for your response.  It is paramount to assist you as you are a valued HP customer.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello David SMP,

Thank you very much for your detailed response to my scanning problem.  I have neglected my e-mail, and have only now seen your messsages.  Sorry about that.

For now that's all I have to say, beccause I have not yet tried the steps you suggested.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Nong 1

HP Recommended

@Nong1,

I reviewed your post. It is great to hear from you again. Your efforts and patience are immensely appreciated. You've displayed commendable technical expertise, immaculate attitude and a great temperament to try and get the issue resolved. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

Please perform the steps and keep me posted. Break some good news that is music to your ears and mine. I am keeping my fingers crossed. It has been an absolute pleasure to have worked with you and a genuine pleasure to share this platform with you. Now trust me I've done all I can to assist you here by keeping your best interest in mind.

If this helps, To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi David SMP,

I forgot to answer your question about whether this problem began after a recent OS update.  We did update to Mac OS 10.13.4, but that was several months ago, before we bought this HP printer.  The printer used to scan without a problem, and then it wouldn't.

Now to follow your suggested plan.

HP Recommended

@Nong1,

I reviewed the super quick response. That was amazingly quick. 

Please try the steps and do keep me posted.

Thanks and have a blessed week ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi David SMP,

I tried to follow the link you gave me to perform a hard reset of the printer:  https://hp.care/2FoANc6 , but this only took me to a list of sites generally about HP.  I could see nothing about doing a hard reset of anything.

So for now I have to skip this step.  I hope this is still on track.

Nong1

HP Recommended

@Nong1.

Please try these steps:

1. Turn on the printer.

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the printer. If your printer has a network or wireless connection, leave it connected.

4. Remove the ink cartridges from the printer.

5. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and from the wall outlet or power strip.

6. Wait at least 60 seconds.

7. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE:

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to a wall outlet.

8. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

9. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

10. Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

11. Reinsert the ink cartridges, and then close the ink cartridge access door.

12. If you receive a prompt to print a calibration page, do so.

13. If you disconnected the USB cable, reconnect it to the rear of the printer.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I recently had a microsoft update. Since then I cannot get hp printer to scan. I did the scan doc but my scanning ability is not consistent. I am connected to wifi, the printer works on wifi but not the scanner. I find hp support very confusing. Please help. thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.