Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Envoy 5660
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Scanner has been fine until today when I tried to scan the printer said the connection to computer has been lost.   But I can print from the computer so that's not true.  Meanwhile, the computer puts up a sign saying "unable to connect with scanner."   I tried to find the HP Scan directory on my computer which I  used to be able to access but can't find it now.  Anyway it's crazy.   I rebooted computer and printer.  I uninstalled and reinstalled printer.   I had a major problem with a virus a month or so ago which culminated in my having to wipe the HD and do a clean install of Win 10.  But the scanner has been working since them.  I'm kerplexed.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@Minus1 There are a few things we may need to consider, the fact that its printing fine but doesn't scan or copy shows that there's something wrong with the scanner feature, the first thing we need to do, is perform a hard reset on the printer to refresh all settings and here's how you do it:

Step 1: Reset the printer and check the power source

Reset the printer to clear certain error states by calibrating the scanner mechanism, and then check the power source to confirm the printer is getting enough power to operate the scanner.

1. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already on.

2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

3. Disconnect the power cord from the power source, and then wait 30 seconds.

4. If you previously connected the power cord to a power strip or multi-plug outlet adapter, reconnect the cord directly to a wall outlet to ensure the printer is getting enough power.

5. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer, and then turn on the printer.

• If the error no longer displays, make a test copy to confirm the issue is resolved.

• If the error still displays, connect the printer power cord to a different wall outlet to determine if the original outlet is causing the issue.

• If the error still displays with a different wall outlet, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Run the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows only)

Some scan error states might be resolved by running this automated troubleshooting tool for Windows computers.

1. Go to HP Print and Scan Doctor to download and install the tool.

2. Click Start on the Welcome screen, click your printer name, and then click Next to continue to the Finding and Fixing Problems screen.

3. Click Fix Scanning, and then follow any on-screen instructions to resolve the issue.

• If the error no longer displays, make a test copy to confirm the issue is resolved.

• If the error still displays, continue to the next step.

Step 3: Check the scanner bar functionality

Perform a visual test of the scanner mechanism to see if it is jammed.

1. Remove any original documents or photos from the scanner glass.

2. Lift the scanner lid slightly, and then press the Copy button or icon.

• If the scanner light does not move, the scanner mechanism is likely jammed. Contact HP to service the printer.

• If the scanner light moves but the error still displays, continue to the next section.

Additional troubleshooting

Depending on your printer model, one or more of the following tasks might resolve the scanner issue.

• Reinstall the printer software: Uninstall the existing printer software and driver, and then install the latest version from HP Software and Driver Downloads.

• Restore factory default settings: For printers with touchscreen or menu-based control panels, locate the Restore Factory Defaults or similar menu under the Setup or Tools menu.

Upgrade the printer firmware using the steps mentioned in this link: Click here

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep me posted, as I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, only in case you don't get back to us, first! 

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us, and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your attention and I apologize for slowness  in reply.  Life intervened ( had to troubleshoot the dishwasher - ain't modern technology great!).

Anyway I tried your suggestions and they did not fix the problem.  Let me give you more detailed description.  When I hit the scan option on the printer opening screen, I get this message:

To scan to a computer make sure that the scanning software had been installed or

comfigured to your computer. . . . Windows - Open the printer software,

select "Scanner actions" . . . and select Manage . . . etc.

I  do not seem to have any computer scanning software and the is no file on my computer named Scanner Actions.   I tried downloading the driver update from the HP web page but it seemed to want to install a new computer and didn't help me at all.   I think I am missing some software but don't know what to get.  Any help would be certainly appreciated.

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem, weird that it happened the same day too! (have spent the weekend trying everything I could to fix it but nothing works... 

Before I had no problem, when I wanted to scan a document I just had to scan, select my pc which was proposed by the scanner itself and could scan all pages in one file. Now with everything I tried I got to a point where it can send a scan to my pc but one page at a time and I have to go select my pc in the suggested devices... no good for school, it absolutely has to be all scanned in one file! 

Hope we both find a solution soon.

HP Recommended

Same thing for me. Everything was fine before for 6 months and today, I get a new version of HP Smart and...patatra!

The scanner no longer works! 

I did everything the support say but I think the cause is this new software version!

The error message is  "Scanner problem"

HP Smart version: 120.1.741.0

Waiting for a quick solution!!

HP Recommended

@Minus1 I suggest you perform the following steps:

• Clean uninstallation 
  • And turn off the security software on the computer 
  • Then try re-install the printer 
  • If that does not work set a manual ip

If the issue persists ask for network configuration page and let me know if you need more details on any of those steps, so I can help you out, accordingly!

Also, as for @Sunwolf_MX & @Vince_17 I'll need the below information for assistance:

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Keep me posted!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Please clarify what you mean by "clean uninstall."  I have uninstalled and reinstalled using the windows system uninstall function.  So I will try this clean uninstall when I know what it is.  I do not think this is a connectivity issue because the print function works fine.   I do not have any HP software on my computer that I can access.  I would like to have that - I used to have it.  Don't know what happened.

HP Recommended

@Minus1 Here's a list of steps for a clean installation:

Press "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window.

Type "services.msc" to get Services - Go to "Print spooler" - Right-click and "Stop" the service.

Now again open "Run" - Type "spool" and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.

Go to services again - Start the print spooler.

Now check for issue resolution.

If the issue persists, unplug the USB cable from the printer (if present). 

Go to Control panel - Programs and feature - Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel - Devices and printer - Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to the Run window, type - "c:/programdata" - Go to the Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Restart your computer.

Then, use this link to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: www.hp.com/drivers

Let me know how that goes.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddie

Don't you think it could be the new version? Everything was working fine and suddenly after installing the new version it doesn't work anymore! I have already uninstalled and reinstalled twice without success. Where can we recover the old version please?

HP Recommended

@Vince_17 The steps I had recently mentioned should help you do the same.

Perhaps, you should give that a shot and let me know how it goes.

All versions of your printer drivers are mention on the HP website, under revision history of your driver.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.