Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same problem and no one from HPSmart@hp.com will answer me. I just got an HP Envy Pro 6455 which seems to have no problems but the app will not open no matter how many times I repeat the delete-and-reinstall process. I'm using Big Sur 11.2.3 on an iMac.

Any help is appreciated, as I need to either figure this out or return the product asap.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@robertcrosby, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand you are not able to use the HP Smart app. Did you download the app from the App Store?

Install the printer using the AirPrint driver on the Mac(recommended)

Check for any software updates on Mac

Click the Apple icon > About This Mac > Software Update and install any available update.

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners. 

2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer. 

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button at the bottom of the list. 

4.) Click the plus sign click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name. 

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add. 

Note: Select "Bonjour multifunction" under kind while installing.

Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Kumar. The printer is working fine, but I still can't connect to the scanner. I just get "Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)".

And I still can't use the HP Smart App, and I want to be able to use the full range of my printer's capabilities. Otherwise I might as well get a new one. Any suggestions on why the app won't open?

Thank you again for your help.

HP Recommended

@robertcrosby

Did you install the printer as 'Bonjour Multifunction'? 

Which app are you using to scan? Refer to - How to scan with an HP printer

You may use the HP Easy Scan from App Store or Image Capture app which is pre-installed on your Mac.

Try reinstalling the HP Smart app from the App Store.

Let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, installed Bonjour Multifunction. I tried HP Easy Scan App too and same problem, failed to connect. I've reinstalled HP Smart app again and again too.

Thank you very much for your help but I think it's time to get a new printer.

HP Recommended

@robertcrosby

If the printer is in sleep mode when you try to scan, press any button to wake it up and then try scanning. 

As you are able to print, it means the connectivity is fine.

If the issue persists, please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region for further assistance. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

These solutions are temporary, if I don't print for a few days I am forced to walk through this process all over again.  And this has been the option since Big Sur 's installation.  Is there a more permanent fix on the horizon??

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.