Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

8610 printer...was scanning fine until today...now says, "No Computer Found" on printer display.

Tried Scan Doctor 5.4; resulted in attempt to update software

Used HP Smart APP; was able to uninstall software

Re-tried Scan Doctor 5.4; able to install 8610 Basic Device Software, but not able to connect

Spent literally all morning to try to work through Virtual Assistant; ended in loop regarding problem and no solution.

All devices (computer/printer) show on network and appear to be "OK"

Thought I would try here, before calling in a ticket, as this has brought a grown man to tears.  Printer prints, but scan fails.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @ScanWisher,

I'd like to help!

Are  you able to make standalone copies ysing the pinter?

If yes, then 

Let's try and uninstall the printer software from the root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

--->In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

--->Select your HP printer.

--->Select Uninstall.

--->In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

--->In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

--->Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

--->Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

--->Click on the Drivers tab.

--->Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

--->Select OK.

--->Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

--->Close Devices and Printers.

And then reinstall the printer full-featured drivers from software and drivers page 

Set a manual IP-

To set a manual IP and try the steps below -

--->Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address 

--->Open a web browser (ex Chrome or Mozilla) and type in the printer's IP

--->then go to network ---> general ---> network protocols ---> select IPV4 only-->apply 

--->go to wireless ---> wireless 802.11---> select manual ip ---> apply

--->Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS.  

--->then go to settings on the main ews page --> power management ---> select sleep mode to max 15min

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @ScanWisher,

I'd like to help!

Are  you able to make standalone copies ysing the pinter?

If yes, then 

Let's try and uninstall the printer software from the root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

--->In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

--->Select your HP printer.

--->Select Uninstall.

--->In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

--->In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

--->Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

--->Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

--->Click on the Drivers tab.

--->Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

--->Select OK.

--->Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

--->Close Devices and Printers.

And then reinstall the printer full-featured drivers from software and drivers page 

Set a manual IP-

To set a manual IP and try the steps below -

--->Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address 

--->Open a web browser (ex Chrome or Mozilla) and type in the printer's IP

--->then go to network ---> general ---> network protocols ---> select IPV4 only-->apply 

--->go to wireless ---> wireless 802.11---> select manual ip ---> apply

--->Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS.  

--->then go to settings on the main ews page --> power management ---> select sleep mode to max 15min

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

To Jay_G24:  I tried your suggestion, and think I am in a worse place.

During delete/reinstall...could not connect to network.  Used HP solution 3B suggested and after disconnect/reconnect of all devices, the connect made it to "3 Activate," which then failed.  I now see a FAX and a SCAN icon in my control panel, but no printer.  Never have been able to get the printer 8610 icon to come on screen to activate the HP Printer Assistant.  (Have done so for my wife's 5200, and it triggers the Printer Assistant)   Instead it gives a "Setup.exe" option.  So, cannot print and cannot scan (original problem).

In working through the Manual IP address, the instruction beyond "Select IPv4 only; Apply" don't match my choices.  I could see the Wireless 802.11, but drop down does not match.  In Status, I see Preferred is 75.75.75.75 and alternate is 75.75.76.76.  Saved screen prints in Word and exitted.

I have been working on this for literally hours since FRI and need to do some work.  What might you suggest I try next?  I am frustrated, having done the software reinstall on 9/4, though not with the WIN+R step done today. 

I am holding for the moment.  Should I try to ADD the printer in the Control Panel?  Or should I make a call for help, as I am totally twisted around in trying to utilize the help, have exhausted several attempts on my own, and it seems odd that a normally functioning printer just stopped doing what it was doing properly through THU last week.

Thanks for any thoughts as to how best to proceed and resolve my problem.

HP Recommended

Hello, Jay_G24:  Here is some good news.  I looked on the scanner display and it showed my PC as available under the Computer choices.  I then went to the Control Panel and ADD the 8610 printer to my devices.

1.  Test print, after selecting it from Word; successful.

2.  Scan from printer, as had been done before; successful.

As this has returned my printer to working status, I will select "Accept Solution" under your response.  Thanks for the suggestions, and while the instructions did not match my view on the machine, they worked.  I did not get the Manual IP address to work, but will not worry about that at this point.

I do wonder what the setup does not put the 8610 icon on the desktop (older printer?) to allow access to the HP Support Assistant to "enable" the scanner.  Again, for the moment, I will be grateful for a return to productive business with my printer back online and fully functioning.

Thanks for the help!!!

HP Recommended

I am glad you are able to print and scan.

Do you have the printer icon on your desktop?

HP Recommended

I found the icon.  I responded to a similar question under the search for "HP Printer Assistant" and originated by "VirtualAssistant."   Short version is...

Wife has 5200; installed it and have desktop icon.  Dbl Click gets "retrieving printer info" and then brings up HP Printer Assistant.

Me, with 8610 icon; Dbl click results in Setup.exe being offered, and does not go to HP Printer Assistant.  If I go to Control Panel, Hdwr, Devices and Dbl click on 8610 icon, one of the selections is HP Printer Assistant (1st).  However, the headers are not similar and the choices are very different.  Closest I can come is Wireless Printing... and I get to HP Smart APP.  Not able to get to "enable" scan to computer here, as is the path offered on wife's set up.

Don't mean to have you and Kumar chasing this down.  Maybe my reply to Kumar is the best bet, as he was responding to this problem for VirtualAssistant.         Thanks for response.

HP Recommended

Alright, let me know if you need further assistance.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

What is the solution for MACs?

HP Recommended

Is there a solution for iOS? Running 10.13 High Sierra and I have the same problem when trying to initiate the scan to computer from my HP 8720 all in one. No Computer Found. Any help troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated! It has stumped me for over a year. I've installed the latest drivers and firmware.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.