Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 5746
macOS 10.14 Mojave

My HP Officejet 5746 will not scan to email.  I keep getting a "Server Connection Error"...there was a problem connecting to the server, Touch Retry to Connect or exit."  It will not connect.   This feature has been working fine up until today, 8/30/19.  I believe this is something on the HP side, as I have seen this same issue come up with others who have posted on this board.  HP, can you please advise if this has to do with an update on your end or if you are working on the issue?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@PJSD

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

To help you further with this, let us know the Operating System installed on the device your Printer is connected to.

Meanwhile you can try these steps:

1. From the printer control panel display, touch ( ePrint ), and then touch (Web Services Settings). 2. Touch Remove Web Services.

3. Restart the router and the printer.

4. On the printer control panel display, from the Home screen, touch ( Setup ).

5. Touch Web Services.

6. Touch Yes to accept the Web Services terms of setup.

7. The printer will automatically check updates and set up Web Services.

8. Touch OK when you see Web Services have been set up successfully.

9. When the printer is connected to the server, the printer prints an information page, and shows Web Services Summary on the screen.

Once done, set up scan to email again.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@rap808, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Are you able to print from your MAC?

This seems like a communication issue. Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest firmware from your MAC.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any software updates on MAC

Click here to know how.

If the above steps do not help, proceed to the next step.

1. On the printer screen, go to setup > Select Web Services 
2. Select 'Remove web services' and wait for the services to be eliminated.
3. Once this is complete, you will return to the home page.
4. Select the Web Services icon on the printer and go through the steps to setup Web Services once again.
5. You will be provided a more recent code. Later on, you can utilize this code to add the printer to your eprintcenter.com/ hpconnected.com account utilizing this code.
6. You may or may not be required to create a different email address.
7. Try another scan to email utilizing the app.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I’m having the same issue with my HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus, scanning to an email.  This has been working for years.

I tried your solution of removing web services and setting them up again.  I still cannot scan to an email.

My printer came off warranty in 2013, but I don’t really think this is a physical printer issue.  It seems more like a software issue or, more likely, an issue on the HP side.

HP Recommended

Hi, I can print.  For the last couple of days I have been unable to scan to email due to server error.  (not specific to my Mac or other devices).  I just tried again, and it seems to be working.   I'm thinking that HP was updating the software or doing something on the back end.  

I appreciate your feedback. 

HP Recommended

@rap808

Seems like the connection to the server is back online. Glad to know that it is working fine now. 

Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Carlson546, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Are you using a Windows PC or a MAC?

Which Email client do you use?

To setup Scan to email, refer to this document (Applies to Officejet 8600 plus)

You may also watch this video for better understanding.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm using Windows10.  My email server is a business account hosted by Gmail.  The outgoing server name should be smtp.carlson546.com.  BTW, I switched my domain hosting from Yahoo to Gmail.  It is possible that Scan to Email hasn't worked since switching to Gmail.  The document and the video didn't help.

HP Recommended

@Carlson546

Thank you for the response. I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction with our HP Support team.

I would request you to contact them for further assistance.

Click on this Link to contact HP.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried the link.  I can't get past the screen telling me that my warranty has expired.  Is there no way to get support on an older printer?  I would hate to have to replace a reliable, working printer just because I can't get assistance with a configuration setting that used to work.

Help!

HP Recommended

@Carlson546

I have sent you a private message with the required details to assist you better.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.