Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
08-30-2019 06:10 PM
My HP Officejet 5746 will not scan to email. I keep getting a "Server Connection Error"...there was a problem connecting to the server, Touch Retry to Connect or exit." It will not connect. This feature has been working fine up until today, 8/30/19. I believe this is something on the HP side, as I have seen this same issue come up with others who have posted on this board. HP, can you please advise if this has to do with an update on your end or if you are working on the issue?
Solved! Go to Solution.
09-02-2019 12:56 PM
@rap808, Welcome to the HP Support Community!
Are you able to print from your MAC?
This seems like a communication issue. Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:
Update the printer firmware
Click here to download and install the latest firmware from your MAC.
Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.
Also, check for any software updates on MAC
Click here to know how.
If the above steps do not help, proceed to the next step.
1. On the printer screen, go to setup > Select Web Services
2. Select 'Remove web services' and wait for the services to be eliminated.
3. Once this is complete, you will return to the home page.
4. Select the Web Services icon on the printer and go through the steps to setup Web Services once again.
5. You will be provided a more recent code. Later on, you can utilize this code to add the printer to your eprintcenter.com/ hpconnected.com account utilizing this code.
6. You may or may not be required to create a different email address.
7. Try another scan to email utilizing the app.
Let me know how this goes.
If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
I am an HP Employee
09-02-2019 03:38 PM
I’m having the same issue with my HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus, scanning to an email. This has been working for years.
I tried your solution of removing web services and setting them up again. I still cannot scan to an email.
My printer came off warranty in 2013, but I don’t really think this is a physical printer issue. It seems more like a software issue or, more likely, an issue on the HP side.
09-02-2019 07:10 PM
Hi, I can print. For the last couple of days I have been unable to scan to email due to server error. (not specific to my Mac or other devices). I just tried again, and it seems to be working. I'm thinking that HP was updating the software or doing something on the back end.
I appreciate your feedback.
09-03-2019 06:09 AM
09-03-2019 12:46 PM
I'm using Windows10. My email server is a business account hosted by Gmail. The outgoing server name should be smtp.carlson546.com. BTW, I switched my domain hosting from Yahoo to Gmail. It is possible that Scan to Email hasn't worked since switching to Gmail. The document and the video didn't help.
09-04-2019 06:49 AM
Thank you for the response. I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction with our HP Support team.
I would request you to contact them for further assistance.
Click on this Link to contact HP.
Keep me posted for any other assistance.
I am an HP Employee
09-05-2019 01:42 PM
I tried the link. I can't get past the screen telling me that my warranty has expired. Is there no way to get support on an older printer? I would hate to have to replace a reliable, working printer just because I can't get assistance with a configuration setting that used to work.
09-05-2019 01:58 PM
I have sent you a private message with the required details to assist you better.
- In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage
Keep me posted.
I am an HP Employee