Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Scan  to email has stopped working.  I used it a few weeks ago and it worked fine. I have been trying for a few days to use it and I keep getting a  message that says:  The printer was unable to connect to the server.  Check your internet connection and try again.  The internet is working.  Any  help is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Carol28,

I reviewed the post. Thanks for the update. As @Jeet_singh is out for the day, I am responding on his behalf.

I am glad that the issue is resolved.

If it helped please mark @Jeet_singh's post as an accepted solution for several others with the same issue to benefit. Also, give his post a Kudos for his efforts to help.

Thanks and have a great week ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

@Carol28,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I see from your post that you are having issues with the scan to email not working on your HP Officejet printer. Don't worry we'll work together to help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any changes on the printer before the issue started?

How is the printer connected?

Did you try to update the printer firmware?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to update he printer firmware. If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to check for the latest firmware update if available for your printer, using this website.  Or you can directly update the printer firmware from the printer control panel.

For more details on how to update the printer firmware, please follow this link: HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware Once done restart the printer.

If the issue persists,  I’d suggest you assign a public DNS to try and fix this issue. Here are the steps:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)
  • Restart the printer and the router and check for issue resolution.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accept as solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet,

Thank you for responding.  Before I go through any of your suggestions, let me give you some updated information.  I decided to call a support service I have with Best Buy (Geek Squad) to see if they could help me.  The agent checked a number of things and was suspecting that my Scan to Email was blocked or turned off.  The Scan to Email Wizard said the printer does not have that feature (very odd). He  put in my IP address and at the Scan tab, the only two options are: Scan to Computer and Scan to Network Folder.   There is no option for Scan to Email (also odd).  I have used Scan to Email many times and it just has stopped working.   He confirmed that the ePrintCenter connection was working.  He looked for updates to firmware.  He said an update had been done on 8/6/2018 and he suspects that the update either turned off  Scan to Email or is blocking it.  Apparently that update was created due to a security issue.  I am not very technically proficient, so I hope that I am correctly relaying to you what the  troubleshooting  unveiled.  I signed off with the agent that I would contact HP to find out if Scan to Email  has been blocked or turned off.  Before I could do that, I got your email.  Does this information make a difference to the solutions you suggested?  Thank you so much.  B/T/W, the printer is connected wirelessly to answer your question. 

HP Recommended

@Carol28,

Thanks for replying,

After reviewing your post thoroughly, I would still suggest you try to follow the steps suggested in the previous post as this should definitely help you resolve this issue.

Please try these steps and get back to you us with the results of the troubleshooting steps as this will help me in further assisting you.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet,

I performed all of your instructions, but these did not work. Please let me know of other ideas.  Thank you for your support

HP Recommended

@Carol28,

It's great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would suggest the next step would be to uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers.

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Restart the computer.

Now click on this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers (Please enter the product number and then select the Operating system and version of Windows before downloading and installing the printer software.

Connect the USB cable only when prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.

Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet,

Thank you for hanging in with me.  Unfortunately, the last set of instructions did not change the outcome.  I still cannot scan to email and am getting the same error message.

HP Recommended

@Carol28,

Thanks for the update,

As I understand you have tried these steps here and still having the issue, don't worry as I have a few other steps which should help you resolve this issue.

Let's try to restore the network settings to default.

Touch (right arrow), touch Setup, and then touch Network. Touch Restore

Network Defaults, and then select Yes. A message appears stating that the

network defaults have been restored.

Once the printer is restored, please connect the printer back to the network.

Once the printer is connected to the network. I would suggest here is to follow the steps to configure the scan to email.

Here' the support document for - HP Printers - How to Scan (Windows)

If nothing works, then the last resort would be to perform an advanced reset on the printer. 

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Scan to email worked fine an hour ago. Now it scans fine, but tapping Next just exits the scan function without prompting for email address, and no email rcvd at previous address. Power cycle did not help. Very repeatable.
HP Recommended

@darylk,

Thanks for the update,

As I understand scan to email worked fine today, most likely it looks like an intermittent issue, I would suggest you try to update the printer firmware first.

Once done, restart the printer.

Also you can follow the steps suggested in the previous post to assign static IP address on the printer. 

If nothing works, as suggested in the previous post, please try to perform an advanced reset on the printer. This should reset the printer back to the factory settings.

Please do the steps suggested and get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting for further assistance.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.