Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Colour Laser Jet Pro MFP M476dw
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Updated print driver on my iMac. Printer is working fine, computer won't recognize scanner. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello,

Hope you are well, if its a network connection, try adding the printer by using the IP address from the system preferences > printers and scanners > + icon > IP printer. 

If its USB connection, try to check the printer is recognized by the computer system preferences > printers and scanners > + icon , if its not showing up try a different USB cable or USB 2.0 port in the computer. 

restart the printer may help to refresh the connection.

Regards,

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have the same problem after HP spat upon its users on macOS in the end of 2020 (the well-known problem with certificates revoked by Apple upon strange request from HP).

I spent hours trying to reinstall my LaserJet Pro MFP M28a with HP Easy Start or HP Smart - both apps could not see the device while it was clearly identified in Printers&Scanners of macOS System Preferences (but no driver was found). Finally I managed to install the device through HP Easy Start and it hopefully works now for printing. HP Easy Start kindly installed HP Easy Scan presuming correctly that it is not only printer but scanner as well. Nevertheless both Easy Scan and System Preferences (and Image Capture application in macOS) say that there is not scanner installed.

This can not be the issue with USB cable or USB port (actually I don't know where to look for USB 2.0 port on iMac 27 Retina 5K - all of them are USB 3.0) since the same iMac under Windows 10 through BootCamp sees the same LaserJet Pro MFP M28a as printer and scanner and it works in Windows. But on macOS it is installed only as printer. MacOS Big Sur 11.2.1 just in case.

Please, HP, wake up and do something to correct your own mistakes!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.