Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8715

I am trying to scan to email and i keep getting this message, "hp printer smtp server requires authentication. make sure smtp username and password are specified." Not tech friendly so someone help ha

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@epbrown 

Not sure - and I no longer have my 8740 to test / check.

I believe when I ran across this, it was due to either the smtp port number (gmail has two possible choices), or it might have been tied to having two-step verification switched on.

At this writing: Two-Step verification does not work with Scan-to-Email and so cannot be tied to the email used for this feature.  You can, as I recall, use instead "App Password" -- Gmail, for example, provides an "App Password" method.

The Two-Step verification is only a big deal if you are trying to tie this to your master email account AND you cannot imagine living  without that extra security.  The obvious choice is to either try App Password or to create / use an alternate Email address for your Scan-to-Email setup.

Fortunately, your 8715 supports Digital Send and therefore understands SMTP.

By the way - You want this.  Make sure your next printer provides Digital send / storage...

Datasheet

Take a look at this illustration and see if it helps with your setup...

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Scan > Scan to Email > Scan to Email Setup

EWS_8740_Scan-to-Email_Setup_6EWS_8740_Scan-to-Email_Setup_6

Try, too, stopping and restarting Web Services - shut off the service, wait about a minute, switch it back on.

Also, once you have the mail Scan-to-Email setup in place, you can Edit the profile - or add another one...

Reference and Resources – (More) Places to find help, solve problems, and learn how to use your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 8715 All-in-One Printer

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.