Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw
Ubuntu LTS

I had an SMB network folder setup on my NAS at \\nasbox\scanneditems. I set up my HP Color LaserJet MFP M281fdw to scan to this network folder and it worked for several years. Recently, there was a printer firmware update, and since then, scans to that network folder have not worked. Trying to delete and recreate the network folder via the printer's web admin interface produces this message: "Cannot find the remote server. Check server name or use IP Address to connect. Check that the remote computer is turned on."

But if I create the scan using an IP address instead of a domain name (\\10.0.0.1\scanneditems), it gets created successfully, and it scans too. I double checked my network configuration, and confirmed (see below) that I'm using my local network DNS server, provided by DHCP, with no secondary DNS server. So nasbox should resolve to 10.0.0.1. There is also a samba WINS server, apparently that's a thing I need in a network with no windows boxes. (Seriously, why can't I have NFS shares for your products?). I can ping nasbox and it works from anywhere on the network. The shared folder works from anywhere on the network except the printer. The shared folder works for the printer when the IP address is used. Everything about this says the printer is refusing to resolve \\nasbox\scanneditems via DNS (or WINS). There's nothing I can find in the web admin interface that indicates an error about this in the event log. And other than that, I can't find other logs.

Status (Wireless):Ready
IPv4 Address:10.0.0.102
Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0
Default Gateway:10.0.0.2
IP Configured By:DHCP
IP Preferred Address Method:DHCP
DHCP/BOOTP Server:10.0.0.1
TFTP Server:Not Specified
DHCP Expiration Time:00:07:50 (Days:Hours:Minutes)
WINS Server:10.0.0.1
Preferred DNS Address:10.0.0.1
Alternate DNS Address:Not Specified

This is an annoyance to be fair, but I see I'm not alone in this (see https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-Copying/Scan-to-Network-Folder-Error-Test-Unsuccessful...).

• Is this a known problem?
  • How can I diagnose further?
    • Can I SSH into my printer or otherwise access networking diagnostics, so I can ping/nslookup from the perspective of the printer
    • Or the only way to use a network sniffer?
  • Is this something I can fix, and if so how?
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I must be lazy, as I would simply use the IP address and be happy it was scanning.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

It was working with a domain name name before, and now it isn't. I'm sorry, but I'm not happy that a firmware update has actually degraded the performance of my device. Also, I now have very little trust that the next firmware update won't just remove the feature entirely (deliberately or otherwise).

HP Recommended

I searched the troubleshooting database and do not see any noted issues. However if this was a recent firmware update issues may not be posted yet. Have you confirmed the DNS entry for your NAS box is correct?  Perhaps adding a manual DNS entry for the NAS will solve the problem. I have run into some security updates from HP that have stopped previously working installations to stop, but it is by no means something I see in great numbers.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Yes, I've confirmed the DNS entry is correct, because literally every other device on the network can see the NAS under the DNS  name. The printer could too, until the update. The DNS setup hasn't changes in more than 4 years.

How do I manually add a DNS entry to the printer? I don't see an option to do so in the web admin interface's network section.

If this issue doesn't exist in the bug database yet, how can report a bug? That's what I was initially trying to do, and I got routed here.

HP Recommended

I have been dealing with the same issues and the same printer over the same timing.  I spent 2 hours on the phone with HP Tech Support today... they were of no help and would not answer my question of whether this is a known problem.  

HP Recommended

Thanks for confirming that it's not just me! Any idea how to report this as a bug?

HP Recommended

Sirlark, I'm not sure how to formally report a bug in the firmware to HP.  Here's the phone number (800-344-5144) to their support, they'll probably want to remote into your machine during the support session.  It might be a good idea to have this thread up so it can be read by the tech, up front.  I reassigned DNS servers in my environment within the ADVANCED NETWORK SETTINGS, all without any success.  This is definitely a DNS RESOLUTION problem that needs to be resolved with firmware/software that will leverage the protocol... THE DNS EXISTS FOR A REASON!!!  I'll do what I can to push this up the pole, please post any updates you come up with.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.