Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I installed my 8710 All In One Printer Series software on another computer and the "Searchable PDF" option is not there. Normally, in the HP Scan window, it can be found on the right under "Destination", and "File Type" in the drop-down window below the file type.

See pictures below.  The first picture, "Exhibit A". has the Searchable PDF Option and the second picture,  "Exhibit B", does not.

I've downloaded the version listed under, "Software Utilities"

HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Print and Scan Driver and Accessories, Version: 40.15.1230_1, Size: 115.8 MB, Release Date: May 26, 2022

Is there a way to get the OCR function back for a Searchable PDF?

Thank you,

Emmette

Exhibit A.

Searchable PDF Available.png

Exhibit B

Searchable PDF Not Available.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@EJacobJr 

Welcome to the HP User Community.

The latest version of the full driver printer software has been repackaged by HP without the built-in OCR software.

Reference

HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Print and Scan Driver and Accessories 

Version 40.15.1230_1

Section Fixes

Repackaged without Optical Character Recognition (OCR) Functionality

Note

The removal of the built-in OCR feature does not, as far as I can tell, impact any printer software that includes IRIS OCR software (single license).  IRIS software appears to be unaffected and is stall part of the driver in which it was originally included.  True - IRIS software is / was included in a limited number of printer models.

Why was the built-in OCR removed? 

I don't know.  It could be licensing, could be compatibility, could be something else...

I am not privy to internal HP decisions.

What to do?

The only way to possibly retrieve the option (in my opinion) is to download and install an older version of the driver.

If you have an older copy of the driver, try that (after uninstalling the new driver, of course).

What else?

If you don't have a copy of the driver you want,  you can look for one.

Know that any driver you download from the Internet is possibly not what you expect. 

Know the risks and proceed accordingly.

At this writing, an older driver is available here:

Softpedia -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer Driver 40.12.1161 

No, I've not downloaded, tested, extracted, or installed the driver.

What else?

Legitimately, the thing to do is to purchase or obtain free OCR software to use.

OCR Scan Software - Examples

11 Best OCR Software of 2022 (Free and Paid Tools)

7 best OCR software for Windows 10/11 [2022 Guide] 

Possibly

NAPS2 – “Not Another PDF Scanner” (Free – Donations gladly accepted by the NAPS2 organization)

• Download-Save-Install >  NAPS2 
  • Not another PDF Scanner – free program scans PDF files and image(s) as .jpeg or PDF file(s).
  • Not always simple “Plug and Play”, nonetheless, this free software is powerful and configurable.
  • NAPS2 might require that the full driver printer software is installed.

Notes

What else?

Possibly (and I cannot test since I have IRIS OCR software -- all my OCR "works" regardless)...

Example - HP Smart > Shortcuts > Create / Edit Shortcut > Save to Cloud > OCR / Searchable PDF

HP_Smart_W10_Shortcuts_Setup-Edit_PDF-OCR_1HP_Smart_W10_Shortcuts_Setup-Edit_PDF-OCR_1

References / Resources

HP Smart for Windows

HP Smart is an application available in the Microsoft Store

OR

Open the Homepage / Support Website for your printer

Category Software and Drivers > Check/ Get the App

>>> Open and Read >>> HP printer setup (HP Smart app)

NOTES: 

• Read FAQ -  including - What are the requirements to set up a printer using the HP Smart app?

• Disconnect from Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection before downloading.

• Turn on Wi-Fi on your computer or mobile device and connect to your network. If the computer is connected to the network with an Ethernet cable, temporarily disconnect the cable and use the Wi-Fi connection during the setup.

• Enable Bluetooth for an HP Smart app setup: Enable Bluetooth on your computer or mobile device so that HP Smart can detect the printer during the setup.  Source: How to scan with an HP printer > FAQ > Why can't I connect my wireless printer or scan over the network?

• HP Smart requires that you sign into the application using your HP Account credentials.

• When working through a browser to access HP Smart, be sure you have Cookies enabled.  If cookies are enabled and you are having trouble, clear Cache and Cookies.   And / Or … Try a different browser – assign that browser as the Default. (Note:  Chrome not working?  Use / Assign a different default browser.)

• Where possible, HP Smart benefits (likes) having the Full Feature Software / full driver printer software installed.  For example, full driver provides access to Shortcuts and Printing Preferences.

• Document includes the HP Smart application download links for Windows and Mobile devices, plus an FAQ section to assist with questions / issues.
    •  FAQ examples: 
      • What are the requirements to use the HP Smart app?
      • Which printers are compatible with the HP Smart app?
      • Why do I need to sign in or create an account to use the HP Smart app features?
      • Which languages does the HP Smart app support?
    • Older versions of the HP Smart app no longer support the required login feature.
    • Update the application to the latest version to access / use HP Smart

===================================================

Mobile Printing – Options for Printers

Print from your Android, iOS, or Amazon Fire device with the HP Mobile printing app.

Open the section for your printer series  >  Find your printer and supported applications.

HP Printers - Mobile Printing Solutions Compatible with HP Printers

HP Smart (Mobile) - iOS and Android >>> Download, How-to, and FAQ

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Android, Apple iOS)

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more

Open

HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@EJacobJr 

Welcome to the HP User Community.

The latest version of the full driver printer software has been repackaged by HP without the built-in OCR software.

Reference

HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Print and Scan Driver and Accessories 

Version 40.15.1230_1

Section Fixes

Repackaged without Optical Character Recognition (OCR) Functionality

Note

The removal of the built-in OCR feature does not, as far as I can tell, impact any printer software that includes IRIS OCR software (single license).  IRIS software appears to be unaffected and is stall part of the driver in which it was originally included.  True - IRIS software is / was included in a limited number of printer models.

Why was the built-in OCR removed? 

I don't know.  It could be licensing, could be compatibility, could be something else...

I am not privy to internal HP decisions.

What to do?

The only way to possibly retrieve the option (in my opinion) is to download and install an older version of the driver.

If you have an older copy of the driver, try that (after uninstalling the new driver, of course).

What else?

If you don't have a copy of the driver you want,  you can look for one.

Know that any driver you download from the Internet is possibly not what you expect. 

Know the risks and proceed accordingly.

At this writing, an older driver is available here:

Softpedia -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer Driver 40.12.1161 

No, I've not downloaded, tested, extracted, or installed the driver.

What else?

Legitimately, the thing to do is to purchase or obtain free OCR software to use.

OCR Scan Software - Examples

11 Best OCR Software of 2022 (Free and Paid Tools)

7 best OCR software for Windows 10/11 [2022 Guide] 

Possibly

NAPS2 – “Not Another PDF Scanner” (Free – Donations gladly accepted by the NAPS2 organization)

• Download-Save-Install >  NAPS2 
  • Not another PDF Scanner – free program scans PDF files and image(s) as .jpeg or PDF file(s).
  • Not always simple “Plug and Play”, nonetheless, this free software is powerful and configurable.
  • NAPS2 might require that the full driver printer software is installed.

Notes

What else?

Possibly (and I cannot test since I have IRIS OCR software -- all my OCR "works" regardless)...

Example - HP Smart > Shortcuts > Create / Edit Shortcut > Save to Cloud > OCR / Searchable PDF

HP_Smart_W10_Shortcuts_Setup-Edit_PDF-OCR_1HP_Smart_W10_Shortcuts_Setup-Edit_PDF-OCR_1

References / Resources

HP Smart for Windows

HP Smart is an application available in the Microsoft Store

OR

Open the Homepage / Support Website for your printer

Category Software and Drivers > Check/ Get the App

>>> Open and Read >>> HP printer setup (HP Smart app)

NOTES: 

• Read FAQ -  including - What are the requirements to set up a printer using the HP Smart app?

• Disconnect from Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection before downloading.

• Turn on Wi-Fi on your computer or mobile device and connect to your network. If the computer is connected to the network with an Ethernet cable, temporarily disconnect the cable and use the Wi-Fi connection during the setup.

• Enable Bluetooth for an HP Smart app setup: Enable Bluetooth on your computer or mobile device so that HP Smart can detect the printer during the setup.  Source: How to scan with an HP printer > FAQ > Why can't I connect my wireless printer or scan over the network?

• HP Smart requires that you sign into the application using your HP Account credentials.

• When working through a browser to access HP Smart, be sure you have Cookies enabled.  If cookies are enabled and you are having trouble, clear Cache and Cookies.   And / Or … Try a different browser – assign that browser as the Default. (Note:  Chrome not working?  Use / Assign a different default browser.)

• Where possible, HP Smart benefits (likes) having the Full Feature Software / full driver printer software installed.  For example, full driver provides access to Shortcuts and Printing Preferences.

• Document includes the HP Smart application download links for Windows and Mobile devices, plus an FAQ section to assist with questions / issues.
    •  FAQ examples: 
      • What are the requirements to use the HP Smart app?
      • Which printers are compatible with the HP Smart app?
      • Why do I need to sign in or create an account to use the HP Smart app features?
      • Which languages does the HP Smart app support?
    • Older versions of the HP Smart app no longer support the required login feature.
    • Update the application to the latest version to access / use HP Smart

Mobile Printing – Options for Printers

Print from your Android, iOS, or Amazon Fire device with the HP Mobile printing app.

Open the section for your printer series  >  Find your printer and supported applications.

HP Printers - Mobile Printing Solutions Compatible with HP Printers

HP Smart (Mobile) - iOS and Android >>> Download, How-to, and FAQ

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Android, Apple iOS)

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more

Open

HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer series 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for all you put into helping me and the community with your detailed solution! Much gratitude!

HP Recommended

@EJacobJr 

You are most welcome.

Happy Scanning.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.