Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Officejet 3833
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Bought this scanner last summer for my 84 year old mum. What she needed was a printer for the very occasional copy and scanning facilities. She needs mostly scan to email that I can not get to work. Am giving it an other try now while here visiting and irritation started to increase when could not even get the serial number and FPU number recognised by HP.

Basically we have 8.1 Windows OS HP laptop with  Thunderbird set as default email system, wifi working, scanning to pc working except email - which I really need. Every time there is a scan she forgets how to attach to an email message, so there are desperate calls.. please help.

For what I see there is the printer software not seeing Thunderbird as default system, so it is not listing it as an option and returning error messages when trying to use the facility. Happy to amend registry if there is an option of the kind. I tried to find any manual set up but can not see or find anything I can do. We have other HP printers at home and at work which have (so far) worked brilliantly. This is a major irritation. The Canon we had earlier could recognise Thunderbird (which I have also updated), so "should" be an HP software issue as per error message

Anyone could be so kind to help on this?

Thanks!!!!!

Eugenia

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@eumappi

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I came across your post and would like to help. 

I understand that you're unable to scan to email from your Mom's HP OfficeJet 3833 All-in-One Printer. An error appears saying "the HP scan application cannot find an email application installed on your computer". I read that you're using the Thunderbird set as default email system. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. 

During my research, I found that the following steps help in setting up the scan to email function on HP printers:

1. Confirm the following requirements for the scan to email feature. If you do not meet these requirements, you can manually attach the file to an email message by saving the scan to a folder on the computer.

• In most cases, scan to email works only when a local email client such as Microsoft Outlook, Live Mail, or Mozilla Thunderbird is installed and setup on the computer.

• Web-based email accounts (Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail) must be configured through your local email client to scan to them. Check your local email support site for additional information.

2. Start the scan, depending on your printer type.

• Printers with touchscreen or LCD menu control panels: From the Scan menu on the printer, select your computer name, and then select Email as PDF or Email as JPEG A new email message automatically opens on the computer.

Additionally, some Web-enabled HP printers have a Scan to Email app in the Apps menu that sends emails directly from the printer using your printer's ePrint email address.

• Printers with buttons only or printers without scan to email menu options: Continue to the next step to start the scan from the computer.

3. Search Windows for 'HP', click your printer model name in the results to open HP Printer Assistant and then click Scan a Document or Photo to open HP Scan.

4. Select one of the email-related shortcuts (Photo to Email, Document to Email, Email as PDF, or Email as JPEG), and then click Scan.

The scan preview opens.

5. Click Send.

A new email message automatically opens with the scan attached.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know how it goes. 

All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your message. Yes, that is all correct and I have updated Thunderbird to last version. We have nothing else on the system that might confuse the scanner. I have also uninstalled Office (like some other member on this forum suggested).

I have uninstalled, re-installed.

Went also through all the mail default options. Thunderbird is listed as sendto mail.

I am at a loss. The easiest would have been to have a set up page on the software where one could link the application, but there is not as far as I am aware. HP software just does not detect the mail app automatically as far as I can see.

Does anyone knows how to tweek the registry? Had a quick look at that too but can not see anything that stands out.

Thanks again..

HP Recommended

@eumappi,

I read the post. great effort. Welcome back. Your time and patience are greatly appreciated.  As @MKazi is out for the day, I am responding on his behalf.

Thunderbird may not be supported by the printer.Hower for further assistance please contact HP phone support who will assist you in real time by possibly taking control of your machine.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/  

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.​​​​​​​

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear David,

Thank you for your time. I can confirm Thunderbird IS supported, it is listed in HP user guides,  I would not waste your time otherwise.

As to your suggestion to contact HP, I tried, it took me a long time to go through the various options, chats, telephone numbers all well hidden in Italy where my mum resides. 

Plus when I tried to get the printer recognised as for serial number, the HP portal did not even manage that.  All details unrecognised. 

As you will well understand it, a great loss of time and effort, as I did not want to shell it out so bluntly, I am not greatly impressed.

Thanks for your effort though.

Eugenia

HP Recommended

@eumappi,

I read the post. Thanks for your responding. It is great to have you back. Your time and patience are greatly appreciated.

Please try these steps:

Restore network defaults on the printer from this user guide: http://hp.care/2sdcd7e  refer to pages 90 and 91 on how to do it. 

Set up the printer on the network again by following the steps on page 86 of the user guide.

Then assign a manual IP address and Google DNS to the printer by following these steps:

Obtain your printer's IP address

1. This can be done by pressing the wireless icon on the printer.

2. Enter the printer's IP address into a browser.

3. Select the network tab at the top of the page.

4. On the left select networking.

5. Select Network Address (IP)

6. Select Manual DNS Server

7. Manual Preferred DNS should read 8.8.8.8

8. Alternate DNS Server should read. 8.8.4.4

9. Select apply you might get a warning just select okay.

( Under the section for DNS, under Primary (IPv4) enter 8.8.8.8, under Secondary (IPv4) enter 8.8.4.4.

Select Apply at the bottom of the screen)

Then check for issue resolution.

If the problem continues, then follow the steps from this link: http://hp.care/2ooDRgW which is authored by an expert. This might fix the issue.

Now you've been a valued HP customer and it has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you and a terrific experience to work with you. Trust me I've done all I've done to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind given the circumstances. I honestly hope things work great for you.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient.

If this helps to simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.