Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 2540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The scan results in one ore more parts of the original. To get the whole picture I have to shift the boundaries.

Sometimes I get a very small part which cannot be enlarged.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@wllm1wbmstr 

Edits - Add section for HP Smart application for Windows

How-to document:

HP Printers - How to Scan (Windows)

and / or

Assuming what you are trying to scan fits on the printer glass,

If you are using HP Scan (part of the Full Feature Software  )

Set the Page Size to "Entire Scan Area"

and / or

If available in your printer software, select "Detect content" (wording may vary)

Examples

9025_HP_Scan_Menu_19025_HP_Scan_Menu_1

9025_HP_Scan_Menu_PDF_19025_HP_Scan_Menu_PDF_1

For those reading

If your printer / OS support it, HP Smart for Windows app0lication does provide Page Size and (for Photos, at least) "Detect Edges" (boundaries)

HP_Smart_W10_Scan_Photo_Screen_1HP_Smart_W10_Scan_Photo_Screen_1

References

HP Smart for Windows

HP Smart is an application available from the Windows Store.

Learn how to use HP Smart on your Windows 10 computer.

Open the Software and Drivers Support Website for your printer > Check the Box Get the App

OR

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

NOTE:  Website includes the HP Smart software for Windows and Mobile devices, plus an FAQ section to assist with questions / issues

Reference and Resources – (More) Places to find help, solve problems, and learn how to use your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Deskjet 2540 All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

This is what I get with Scan Size : Entire Scan Area

Scan  Size: Total Scan AreaScan Size: Total Scan Area

This is the result with Scan Size: 4x 6 in

Scan Size: 4 x 6 inScan Size: 4 x 6 in

HP Recommended

@wllm1wbmstr 

Well, the printer is getting older - product introduced in Fall of 2013 

The Printer Software is aging too, last released in 2015

Nonetheless...

I agree that is not an expected result for "Entire Scan Area".

I cannot explain the line down the center that appears to be separating the field nor can I explain the patterned effect.

I have not seen anything like this.  That means nothing, of course, there is a lot that printers do that I have not seen.

I can offer the following with at least some hope that it will help:

What are the results of Copy?

That is, place the image / document on the glass and click Copy?

I doubt this will tell us anything overly useful, but it proves the hardware mechanism that is used for both copy and scan does work.

Have you tried the Print and Scan Doctor?

If not, do try that - if the problem is within the software or setup, for example, the doctor might be able to help.

HP Diagnostics - HP Support Diagnostic Tools - HP Laptop Computers & Printers

Print and Scan Doctor - Diagnostics - Printing  (Scroll down to see link)

What else?

Try a regular document (typed on regular white paper) or perhaps a color photo.

Are the results the same?

For example, the printer may be objecting to the "not white" background.

There is naught to be done about that, but perhaps it indicates what the printer thinks about "this" scan job.

Improving Scan Quality

I doubt it's dirt - but cleaning is always a good start.

Try the power Reset (step 3), too.

The image looks fine when you select the Page Size (4x6 in your example).

What about trying "Letter" (or A4 if that is your "standard size" in your location.

Did you select scan type jpg or document?

Not sure that would make a difference, but try the "other" one.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Putting a sheet of white paper in A4 format on top of the smaller picture solves the problem when scanning with Scan Size Entire Scan Area.

HP Recommended

@wllm1wbmstr 

Brilliant.

I have had to do this with old photos on occasion (it's been awhile) and the overall "error" condition never did look like what you were seeing.  Perhaps it is the particular paper (yellow) or maybe the reflective quality of the back plate is dimmed due to age (discoloration).  ??  Doesn't matter, of course.

Happy Scanning.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.