Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Example: HP Office Jet Pro 8710

Everyday I have something I scan to email but today it just isn’t working. It keeps popping up as “general error” there is nothing I can click on to see what It means or how to fix it. I restarted the printer, made sure it’s connected to the internet and computers still, and everything is working great out this feature. Help!!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Emily04,

I'd like to help!

We would have set up scan to email again

Follow the steps below to use the HP Embedded Web Server (EWS) to set up the Scan to Email feature.

NOTE: 

This method can be used for all supported operating systems.

In addition to the instructions below, you can view the following video of how to set up Scan to Email using the HP Embedded Web Server (EWS):

Step one: Access the HP Embedded Web Server (EWS)

Before you can access the Embedded Web Server (EWS), you must first obtain the printer's IP address using the printer control panel. Once you have the printer's IP address, enter it into a Web browser to access the EWS.

NOTE: 

Your printer must be connected to an IP-based network before you can access the EWS.

Follow these steps to obtain the printer's IP address and then enter it into a Web browser to access the EWS:

1. From the Home screen on the printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon  (or the Ethernet icon ) to view the printer's IP address or host name.

2. Open a web browser, and in the address line, type the IP address or host name exactly as it displays on the printer control panel. Press the Enter key on the computer keyboard. The EWS opens.

Figure : Example of an IP address in a browser address line

NOTE: 

If a message displays in the web browser indicating that the website might not be safe, select the option to continue to the website. Accessing this website will not harm the computer.

Step two: Configure the Scan to Email feature

Follow the steps below to set up the Scan to Email feature in the Embedded Web Server (EWS). In the EWS, you can define the email settings and the default scan and file options, and add contacts to the Address Book.

1. On the EWS home page, click Scan to Email.

2. On the Outgoing Email Settings page, proceed with one of the following tasks (which will depend on your organization's email structure):

• If your organization uses one email server for all its emails: Set up your email addresses and the SMTP server information. Click Apply.

• If your organization uses multiple email servers for its emails: Set up the email addresses, names, and security PINs for each email profile. Click Apply.

After configuring the email settings, the Scan tab will display in the EWS.

3. On the Scan tab, click Scan to Email, and then click Default Settings. Select your default scan and file settings, and then click Apply.

4. Set up your contact list or lists. On the Scan tab, click Address Book.

Following are some options for setting up your Address Book:

• A local address book can be set up on the device. Click Contacts to configure a local address book.

• A Network Directory Server (LDAP) can be set up to search for users within a company. Click Address Book Settings to configure LDAP.

5. After setting up your contacts, click Apply.

You may refer to -Set up Scan to Email and How to scan 

Note- The product might be different in teh document , but the steps remain the same.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Did all of this... still gives me a "general error" message. Whatever that means.

I even restarted the entire printer itself and started over with everything. It will only scan to computer, not to email like I need. Still gives the general error. Nothing you suggested is working.

HP Recommended

Let's try a factory default on the printer and then try and set it up.

I have shared the instructions in a private message

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.