Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6968 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can someone tell me why I have to sign into my account just so I can scan a document?  Also, since the HP Smart app came out the old Printer Assistant program doesn't work fully.  I was quite happy with the Printer Assistant.  Having to sign into your account just so you can use a function is just absurd. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Doug67b 

Welcome to the HP User Community.

@Doug67b wrote:

1)  Can someone tell me why I have to sign into my account just so I can scan a document?

2)  Also, since the HP Smart app came out the old Printer Assistant program doesn't work fully. 

I was quite happy with the Printer Assistant. 

Having to sign into your account just so you can use a function is just absurd. 

1)  HP Smart includes features that require that you are connected to services beyond basic scan.

That said, using HP Smart is not mandatory.

2)  This should not be the case.  Full Driver printer Software should be functional as it has been in the past.

If you have not done so, Update the Printer Firmware.

HP Officejet 6950/6960/Pro 6960/Pro 6970 All-in-One Printer series Firmware Update 

and

The full driver printer software might be in need of Uninstall > Restart computer > Install fresh copy of the Full Feature Software > Restart computer.

First...

If the full driver printer software is still installed in Programs and Features,

Uninstall the printer software from Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features

Restart the computer and sign in

Next,

Download and Save the installation package.

HP Easy Start Printer Setup Software 

Basic Instructions - Install the Full Feature Software / Full Driver printer software

Preparation

• If the printer software is still / already installed, Uninstall the printer software  from Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features > Restart the computer and log in – Reference Uninstall HP printer software and drivers

After the printer software is uninstalled, check that the printer is not still lurking in Devices and Printers

If the printer is listed, Right-Click on the printer and "Remove" > Restart the computer and sign in.

• If using VPN, shut it off to install software.  NOTE >> If you don’t know what this is, you are not using a VPN – ignore this part.

• Reminder:  If using USB cable between printer and computer, disconnect the cable before installing software.  Later... Connect the cable when instructed (near the end of the installation procedure).

• Observation:  It is possible (assuming your Wireless Network is stable) that using a Wireless connection to install the printer software might work better than using an Ethernet Connection.   Personal choice - the Wireless connection method is recommended when you face insurmountable issues installing the software.

Installation

• Download and Save the Full Feature Software installation package or the Easy Start Software
  • Open File Explorer
  • Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file  (likely Downloads)
  • Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

If using Easy Start

• Skip any extra software / offers you do not want – Wording varies as does the number of times you have to “skip” or opt-out of various options.
  • When asked, opt for "Full Software and Drivers" (exact wording might vary).
  • Easy_Start_Full_Driver_2Easy_Start_Full_Driver_2
  • If, after the Full Software and Drivers option is selected, the installation terminates (suddenly stops and disappears – never comes back): Open your Downloads folder > Look for and Right-Click on the full Web installation package and “Run as Administrator

====================================================================

What else?

After you have resolved any issues with your full driver printer software,

Consider: 

There are additional Scan applications and software that do not require Sign-in.

Examples

NAPS2 – “Not Another PDF Scanner” (Free – Donations gladly accepted by the NAPS2 organization)

• Download-Save-Install >  NAPS2 
  • Not another PDF Scanner – free program scans PDF files and image(s) as .jpeg or PDF file(s).
  • Not always simple “Plug and Play”, nonetheless, this free software is powerful and configurable.
  • NAPS2 might require that the full driver printer software is installed.

Notes

HP Scan and Capture

Available from the Microsoft Store (formally Windows Store) - Requires Windows 8 or higher

Download-Save-Install   HP Scan and Capture

Description

HP Scan and Capture is a simple and fun application that captures photos or documents from any* HP scanning device or your computer's built-in camera.  These images can be previewed, edited, saved, and shared to other applications.

HP Scan and Capture features an adjustable screen size.

* NOTE:  The correct HP print software drivers for your scanner must be installed from HP's Support Website.

Click Start (windows key) > Open the All Apps List > scroll the list 

Open Category HP

Find and open the HP Scan and Capture application

Optional

Right-Click on the application and PIN to Start

Windows ScanMicrosoft Store (formally Windows Store) - Requires Windows 8 or higher

Possibly

Webscan – located in the Embedded Web Server (EWS) – No additional software

This option requires a network connection and EWS

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more

Open

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Doug67b 

Welcome to the HP User Community.

@Doug67b wrote:

1)  Can someone tell me why I have to sign into my account just so I can scan a document?

2)  Also, since the HP Smart app came out the old Printer Assistant program doesn't work fully. 

I was quite happy with the Printer Assistant. 

Having to sign into your account just so you can use a function is just absurd. 

1)  HP Smart includes features that require that you are connected to services beyond basic scan.

That said, using HP Smart is not mandatory.

2)  This should not be the case.  Full Driver printer Software should be functional as it has been in the past.

If you have not done so, Update the Printer Firmware.

HP Officejet 6950/6960/Pro 6960/Pro 6970 All-in-One Printer series Firmware Update 

and

The full driver printer software might be in need of Uninstall > Restart computer > Install fresh copy of the Full Feature Software > Restart computer.

First...

If the full driver printer software is still installed in Programs and Features,

Uninstall the printer software from Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features

Restart the computer and sign in

Next,

Download and Save the installation package.

HP Easy Start Printer Setup Software 

Basic Instructions - Install the Full Feature Software / Full Driver printer software

Preparation

• If the printer software is still / already installed, Uninstall the printer software  from Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features > Restart the computer and log in – Reference Uninstall HP printer software and drivers

After the printer software is uninstalled, check that the printer is not still lurking in Devices and Printers

If the printer is listed, Right-Click on the printer and "Remove" > Restart the computer and sign in.

• If using VPN, shut it off to install software.  NOTE >> If you don’t know what this is, you are not using a VPN – ignore this part.

• Reminder:  If using USB cable between printer and computer, disconnect the cable before installing software.  Later... Connect the cable when instructed (near the end of the installation procedure).

• Observation:  It is possible (assuming your Wireless Network is stable) that using a Wireless connection to install the printer software might work better than using an Ethernet Connection.   Personal choice - the Wireless connection method is recommended when you face insurmountable issues installing the software.

Installation

• Download and Save the Full Feature Software installation package or the Easy Start Software
  • Open File Explorer
  • Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file  (likely Downloads)
  • Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

If using Easy Start

• Skip any extra software / offers you do not want – Wording varies as does the number of times you have to “skip” or opt-out of various options.
  • When asked, opt for "Full Software and Drivers" (exact wording might vary).
  • Easy_Start_Full_Driver_2Easy_Start_Full_Driver_2
  • If, after the Full Software and Drivers option is selected, the installation terminates (suddenly stops and disappears – never comes back): Open your Downloads folder > Look for and Right-Click on the full Web installation package and “Run as Administrator

====================================================================

What else?

After you have resolved any issues with your full driver printer software,

Consider: 

There are additional Scan applications and software that do not require Sign-in.

Examples

NAPS2 – “Not Another PDF Scanner” (Free – Donations gladly accepted by the NAPS2 organization)

• Download-Save-Install >  NAPS2 
  • Not another PDF Scanner – free program scans PDF files and image(s) as .jpeg or PDF file(s).
  • Not always simple “Plug and Play”, nonetheless, this free software is powerful and configurable.
  • NAPS2 might require that the full driver printer software is installed.

Notes

HP Scan and Capture

Available from the Microsoft Store (formally Windows Store) - Requires Windows 8 or higher

Download-Save-Install   HP Scan and Capture

Description

HP Scan and Capture is a simple and fun application that captures photos or documents from any* HP scanning device or your computer's built-in camera.  These images can be previewed, edited, saved, and shared to other applications.

HP Scan and Capture features an adjustable screen size.

* NOTE:  The correct HP print software drivers for your scanner must be installed from HP's Support Website.

Click Start (windows key) > Open the All Apps List > scroll the list 

Open Category HP

Find and open the HP Scan and Capture application

Optional

Right-Click on the application and PIN to Start

Windows ScanMicrosoft Store (formally Windows Store) - Requires Windows 8 or higher

Possibly

Webscan – located in the Embedded Web Server (EWS) – No additional software

This option requires a network connection and EWS

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more

Open

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dragon-Fir, thanks for the reply.  Looks like a lot to sort through.  I'm sure one of those will work.  I'll let ya know.  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

The other user is correct is NOT allowing to scan or print without signing in. Why you always have to break what already works fine. STOP with the ads inside the software, stop asking to sign in. I already spent GBP800 in a printer. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.  

HP Recommended

@Green_Nico 

I am sorry it is perhaps not clear.

Your hostility is noted, of course.

No one in the Community wants you to use something you don't want to use.

Important

Use of HP Smart is NOT mandatory.

You do not have to use HP Smart to use the printer to scan.

True -

HP provides the application free of charge.

HP requires that you sign-in with your HP Account to use the HP Smart Application.

Signing in provides setup access to Cloud services and access to special features offered on some printers.

Opinion

I believe advertising is perhaps limited to those services and features that are part of - or adjacent to - HP Smart.

Not true?  OK.  I admit I don't pay attention to advertising - I'm old - much of the noise is not directed at my demographic.

Your solution:

• Do not use HP Smart
  • Install the full driver printer software
  • Use HP Scan or a variety of other scan programs that do not require you sign in using your HP Account.

================================================================================

Yeah, but...

Sign-in Exceptions and additions include and are not be limited to:

• Downloads and software installations generally require that you have signed into your Windows computer with an account that includes Administrator access.  Admin level access to Windows requires a password.
  • HP Scan > Save file to Email requires the installation of a mail client (Outlook or Thunderbird) - both of these require sign-in.
  • If scans are saved to Cloud Storage accounts, these locations must be already active and available - there is no method within HP Scan or other programs (with the exception of HP Smart) to set up and acquire access to services not already in place (accessible).
  • Scans saved to a remote storage unit (for example, a NAS) require previous mapping / access / sign in to the appropriate account(s) at the remote location.
  • ePrint is an older variation of Print Anywhere - Both of these services require sign-in and HP Account access.
  • Webscan requires that the printer have access to your computer - this means you must be signed into the computer using a password.
  • Windows Scan requires that you be signed into the computer with a password, and might require that the sign-in be done with a Microsoft account.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.