Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5530 e-All-in-One Printer
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

Every now and then "HP smart" goes from being bad software to completely useless.

Just tried to scan a simple document and it comes out extremely blurry as if water spilled over the whole page.

Here's a little example

Picture.png

Restarting the program, restarting the printer, ... nothing works.

The only thing that works is to start up a windows pc and scan from there, then it just works.

But that isn't very convenient, I'd like to be able to just scan from my mac.

This is an issue I've sporadically been facing for over a year.

There are also times when I can actually scan on mac. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@kristofb

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did you make any changes to your printer? 
  • Have you tried scanning with HP smart app?
  • Have you tried updating the scanning app and Mac OS to the latest version?

While you respond to that, refer to the article Scan with an HP printer (Mac)- https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_2275901-2074064-16 

By the end of the article, you will be able to isolate the issue.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

sorry, the issue is with hp smart not hp easy scan. I've updated the original post.

haven't used hp easy scan in years since I was forced to switch to hp smart (outdated driver I think, can't remember exactly)

hp easy scan was good software: user-friendly, fast, no need to log in again every full moon, and good quality scans.

HP Recommended

@kristofb

Thank you for posting back. 

Have you tried updating the HP smart to the latest version?

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am on the latest version, it's been a recurring issue since many versions.

HP Recommended

@kristofb

Thank you for posting back. 

Let's install the latest print and scan drivers to resolve scanning issues. Depending on your printer and the operating system installed on your Mac, scanning might no longer function from the printer control panel.

Turn on the printer.

If your printer is connected to the computer with a USB cable, disconnect the cable from the printer. The software installation prompts you to connect the cable if needed.

Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads.

If a lets identify your product to get started page displays, click Printer, type your printer model number and then click Submit.

The software results page for your printer displays with the default operating system selected.

If you need to change the operating system, click Change, select your version, and then click Change.

Click Download next to HP Easy Start or next to the full feature driver, depending on the option that displays.

Open the Downloads folder, and then open the HP Easy Start file or the full feature driver .dmg file to begin the installation.

Follow the on-screen instructions to set up the printer connection and install the software.

If you are prompted to add the printer to the printer queue, click the name of your printer, click the Use or Print Using menu, select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu, and then click Add.

Select your printer name in the Use menu on the Add screen

Return to the HP installer to complete the installation.

Keep me posted! 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.