Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
01-15-2023 08:56 AM
Welcome to the HP Community Forum.
Operating System: Unknown
Software / Application: Unknown
Connection Type: Unknown
I use hp smart print program for the printer as instructed by HP.
But my printer does not have the scan to PDF option. only bmp... and others.
what HP program do i need?
What you need and what you do depends on your Operating System / version.
The Printer provides limited access to some of the features supported by the hardware:
- The Embedded Web Server (EWS) provides extended access to many options and features supported by the printer. EWS is available via your browser or from within HP Smart.
- The Printer Control Panel is limited to those options that are standard to the printer and those options made available (for example, by having loaded the full driver in Windows).
Depending on your Operating System / version, there might be more than one part to HP Smart:
- HP Smart application - Windows, MacOS, and Mobile apps are available.
- HP Smart Printing - Windows - a "Smart" printing queue GUI added with some installations of the HP Smart application. HP Smart Printing works with HP Smart and -- when the full driver is installed -- other programs and print software.
Depending on your Operating System / version,
a Full Feature Software / full driver printer software might be available.
After the full driver is installed, Enable the Scan to Computer option in the Printer Assistant > Scan
Example - Windows - Full Feature Software - Installed in Programs and Features
References / Resources
Printer Software - Windows
>>> Full Feature Software - Web Pack Installation Package - Information and Download <<<
Basic Instructions - Install the Full Feature Software / Full Driver printer software
- If the printer software is still / already installed, Uninstall the printer software from Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features > Restart the computer and log in – Reference Uninstall HP printer software and drivers
NOTE: If the printer also installs Help files - Uninstall the printer help file package from Programs and Features when you are uninstalling the main printer software.
- >>> After the printer software is uninstalled, check that the printer is not still lurking in Devices and Printers. If the printer is listed, Right-Click on the printer and "Remove" > Restart the computer and sign in.
- If using VPN, shut it off to install software. NOTE >> If you don’t know what this is, you are not using a VPN – ignore this part.
- Reminder: If using USB cable between printer and computer, disconnect the cable before installing software. Later... Connect the cable when instructed (near the end of the installation procedure).
- Observation: It is possible (assuming your Wireless Network is stable) that using a Wireless connection to install the printer software might work better than using an Ethernet Connection. Personal choice - the Wireless connection method is recommended when you face insurmountable issues installing the software.
- Download and Save the Full Feature Software Web Pack installation package or the Easy Start Software
- Open File Explorer
- Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file (likely Downloads)
- Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator”
- If using a USB printer cable to connect the printer to the computer, connect the cable when instructed to do so, near the end of the installation procedure
- After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in
Example - FYI - Windows - Parts to the Printer Software
HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources
Learn about your Printer - Solve Problems
“Things that are your printer”
When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic
NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System
Categories: Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more
Thank you for participating in the HP Community --
People who own, use, and support HP devices.
Click Yes to say Thank You
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community