Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

@Poppup70

I am sorry you are disappointed.  Our community forum has not any influence on Windows software, how your network functions, whether any HP or other programs work as expected in your Operating System.

Could be a bug.  In so much that I am aware, the fact that "Scan to Computer" fails on occasion and generates the expected notification is not a "known bug".  I am not HP and my programming days are long behind me.

You have control over most of what the computer communicates to you during your use of the Operating System.  There are exceptions.  For example, the following might generate messages in spite of "controls" being in place to prevent notifications: catastrophic failure of the Operating System, File System corruption (large scale), System Overheating (though this usually happens without fanfare), and a number of other "Blue Screen" events.

Background:  I have all notifications switched off at the Windows level.  I have notifications switched off and / or various features switched off on the application level (security software excepted).  I have pop-ups on Websites disabled except for a few selection applications.  Running Windows 10 Pro Version 1809.   

"Scan to Computer", when enabled, allows one to walk up to the printer, place a document / image on glass or ADF and click "Scan".  When "Scan to Computer" is disabled, "scan" functions still work when invoked from the computer using one of the several appropriate scan softwares (programs).

If the "Scan to Computer" feature is enabled,

If the box is checked to "Switch on the feature when Windows starts",

If the feature is not functioning, if the printer is not communicating, if there are any interruptions,

The message warning you about the problem is sent to Notifications.

If you have Notifications switched on, you are notified by pop-up of the problem.

If you have Notifications switched on, you are notified by pop-up of the problem.

Yes, constant notification is annoying, even when the message is delivered in text format.

The  "Scan to computer is no longer activated" notification can be controlled by disabling the notification on the Windows level either as a part of switching off all notifications and / or controlling "Get notifications from these senders".

Settings > System Notifications & actions

In the case of the message "Scan to Computer is no longer activated", you can disable the feature.  Even if you have chosen to allow Windows to plague you with other notifications, disabling the "Scan to computer" feature stops the message for this particular software:  The software cannot fail if it is not running.

Scan_to_computer_1Scan_to_computer_1

What if you want it all?

What if you don't want to control notifications on the Windows level?

What if, for reasons that are not known, Scan to Computer sometimes fails and then sends you messages?

What if you want to occasionally use Scan to Computer without having to open the printer software to switch on / off the feature?

If you want to be able to enable / disable the feature without having to open the printer software, consider creating a Shortcut to the software that controls "Scan to Computer".

How to

ScanToPCActivationApp Shortcut

Right-Click on Desktop > New > shortcut

Target / Path:

"C:\Program Files\HP\<Printer>\Bin\ScanToPCActivationApp.exe" –deviceID <Printer Serial Number>:NW -scfn "<Printer> (NET)"

Give your shortcut a name and finish...

Example Path:

"C:\Program Files\HP\HP Officejet Pro 8630\Bin\ScanToPCActivationApp.exe" –deviceID CN123EK45D:NW -scfn "HP Officejet Pro 8630 (NET)"

Your comments continue to be welcome as long as they adhere to our policies.

HP Support Forum: Rules of Participation

Good Luck.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Would you please tell me exactly how to turn the message off?  Messages were inadvertently turned on a few months ago, as I didn't understand what kind of messages it was asking about.  I just want them turned off, but can't find a place to do that.

HP Recommended

@Tigerrr2

If you are referring to the subject of this thread, the following applies...

Method - Disable ScanToPCActivationApp in Startup (Windows 10)

This Disables the application that controls "Scan from the printer control panel to the computer" action.

Paraphrased from a Solution Contributed by DavidPK

• Right-Click an empty area of the Taskbar and select Task Manager
  • In the Task Manager window, click on 'More details' near the bottom left
  • Select tab Start-up > Left-Click the entry ScanToPCActivationApp to highlight
  • Click the 'Disable' button in the bottom right of the window.
  • Close Task Manager (and other programs) > Restart the notebook and log in

:Arrow_Right: Method - Switch OFF ScanToPCActivationApp Notification

For Windows 10 - this method disables the Notification (message).

• Windows key SettingsPersonalization (Background, lock screen, colors
  • TaskBar Scroll down to Notification Area > Select which icons appear on the taskbar
  • Set OFF Always show all icons in the notification area (Allows notifications to be edited)
  • Scroll down
  • Switch OFF ScanToPCActivationApp
  • If desired, Set ON   Always show all icons in the notification area

If you are referring to a different message or other Windows notifications, please start your own thread and ask your question.  Include the type of notification for which you have a question, include your OS and version.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Yes, my question had to do with this thread.  And now I've followed the directions to disable the popup, and the scanner quit working.  So I enabled it again - having the irritating popup would be better than having to disable and re-enable, every time I need to use the scanner - but even though it's now enabled, the scanner still isn't working.  And yes, I rebooted. 

So I guess I need help getting the scanner to work again, for starters.

But isn't there a way to stop *all* of the popups?  I find them pretty useless, and would just as soon figure out a problem as it happens, rather than constantly being reminded of how irritated I am!

HP Recommended

I don't know what happened but I no longer get the message.  I will say that HP updates all the time and it is annoying that it always...ALWAYS resets my personal settings.  The most annoying thing is that I think the scanner is broken before I remember that they reset my scanner from the feeder to the glass.  SMH...   So check that aspect.  

@Tigerrr2 wrote:

Yes, my question had to do with this thread.  And now I've followed the directions to disable the popup, and the scanner quit working.  So I enabled it again - having the irritating popup would be better than having to disable and re-enable, every time I need to use the scanner - but even though it's now enabled, the scanner still isn't working.  And yes, I rebooted. 

So I guess I need help getting the scanner to work again, for starters.

But isn't there a way to stop *all* of the popups?  I find them pretty useless, and would just as soon figure out a problem as it happens, rather than constantly being reminded of how irritated I am!

HP Recommended

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.  The message says the unit (which is a PhotoSmart 7525) is not connected to the computer.  It's printing though - I just tested it again.  It's a printer/fax/scanner/copier, but only the scanner is not working.

HP Recommended

Tigerrr2,  I don't know that I can help.  However, how are you trying to scan?  From the feeder?  Or the Glass?   

If you are using the feeder, check your setup to see that an update from HP didn't reset your settings to scan ONLY from the glass.  Try scanning from the glass, and of course changing the setting to scan from feeder.  If that's not it, time to ask for support.  

HP Recommended

Everything but actually fixing the problem...HP has known about this for year and years and has done nothing to fix it!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.