Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 5255
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've used the scan utility for years to create PDFs and PNGs from text documents. Recently the program has failed with the message "unable to communicate with scanner." I find another post here that has a solution, but I'm unable to reply to that post. Perhaps it is closed, since it has a solution? It says to use this link to fix the problem:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/identify?q=OfficeJet+Pro+8600&tool=s-002#Z7_3054ICK0...

When I use that link,  the process that it runs hangs. The only way I found to cancel it was to go into Windows Task Manager services and stop a couple msi-related services. After I restarted those services, I went into Control Panel Programs and Features and tried to uninstall. The uninstall also hangs.

TIA for any suggestions.
FredFrog.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,
From the search bar type CMD, right-click on Command-Line and select Run as Administrator, be sure to confirm any prompt by pressing Yes.

Past the following command and press enter:

Sc config stisvc depend= rpcss/ShellHWDetection

Now restart your computer and try scanning, may you see any difference?

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi, I have same problem and tried your command as admin, but get positional parameter error for "depend=".

HP Recommended

Shlomi,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm still getting the error. Another user said that your CMD got a syntax error. I didn't get an error on that, but I removed the space after depend= just to be sure it wasn't a problem. See attached

hp scan unable to communicate with scanner.jpg

Is the  CMD expected to resolve the issue directly? Or only to enable the :

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/identify?q=OfficeJet+Pro+8600&tool=s-002#Z7_3054ICK0...

to not hang?

FredFrog.

HP Recommended

Please paste the command exactly as listed, including the spacing there, then restart your PC and check if you may see any difference when trying to scan.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Sorry tried the command with and without the space and still get this syntax error

HP Recommended

Rattrapper_0-1604260659462.png

I have to use Windows Powershell as I don't get the Windows option to run the command prompt in admin

HP Recommended

Rattrapper_0-1604260754072.png

HP Recommended

It's academic anyway, just noticed since a fairly big Windows 10 update today the scanner function has started working again.

HP Recommended

No difference.

Also, when I try the link I get access denied.

You don't have permission to access "http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/identify?" on this server.

Reference #18.6fb42d17.1604395157.1b5d3ddb

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.