Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP 8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have installed Windows 10 on my HP TouchSmart. My HP Officejet Pro 8600 Printer will print, but when when I try to scan I get a message saying the printer was not found. How do I correct this problem? Denyart

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @sjc-or,

It sounds like the driver isn't installing correctly or it could an issue with the HP Software.

Have you tried the document I recommended, HP Printers - A Communication or Connection Error Displays When Scanning?

Have you tried the suggested scanning workarounds?

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

Hi @Denyart,

I understand that you're unable to scan to with your HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer. I would be happy to assist you with this.

How is the printer connected? (USB/Wireless/Ethernet)

What this the error message you're receiving when you try to scan? 

Are you able to perform a copy?

In the meantime try this document, HP Printers - A Communication or Connection Error Displays When Scanning

For printing related issues see, 'Offline' Printer Status Message Displays (Windows 10).

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck! Smiley Happy

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Drakster,

My HP Officejet Pro 8600 Printer is attached to my HP TouchSmart Computer via Ethernet. Using the controls on the printer itself, I can perform all functions, including scanning.

However, when I try to scan from the computer, I get this dialogue box message: “The HP Officejet Pro 8600 was not found.” I am able to print from the computer, but the scanner won’t operate when I choose this function from the Start Menu--and I get the aforementioned message.

In the Control Panel, under “devices and printers,” I have chosen HP042216 (HP Officejet Pro 8600) as my default printer.

Your help is much appreciated!

Denyart

HP Recommended

Hi @Denyart,

Thanks for getting back to me and providing more details regarding the issue you're experiencing.

I believe the issue is related to the print driver. When you see 'HP042216' before the printer's name (HP Officejet Pro 8600), this usually means that you're not using the HP driver. It would appear that you're using Windows built-in driver.

Do you have more than one printer listed to choose from when you try to scan from the computer? Try again and select the 'HP Officejet Pro 8600 Printer' if you see it.

Please follow the guide I recommended, HP Printers - A Communication or Connection Error Displays When Scanning.

After you re-install the printer driver it should look like 'HP Officejet Pro 8600 Printer', without HP and a series of number in front of it.

I hope this helps. Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem after upgrading to Windows 10

Connectivity  Network with fixed IP address

Recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Tried completely uninstalling and re-installing HP printer driver (full version)

Disabled firewall

Print and scan doctor report driver error but passes WIA scan test.

I can print but cannot scan.

HP Recommended

Hi @sjc-or,

It sounds like the driver isn't installing correctly or it could an issue with the HP Software.

Have you tried the document I recommended, HP Printers - A Communication or Connection Error Displays When Scanning?

Have you tried the suggested scanning workarounds?

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Yes, and I can scan from the embedded printer web server just not from my Windows 10 desktop or any windows apps that use Windows 10 scan drivers.

HP Recommended

Drakster,

By going to the HP website and downloading the HP Assistant, I was able to reinstall my software for the HP Officejet Pro 8600 Printer. Now everything is working correctly. I thank you very much for your assistance! Denyart

HP Recommended

I tried the same thing but no luck even when installiong from HP assistant. I've now spent about 5 hours trying to fix this.

In hind site I probably should have waited until the bugs got worked out before taking my device to Windows 10.

HP Recommended

Hi @sjc-or,

Sjc-or, if you would like to continue troubleshooting try these steps.

If using USB, disconnect the USB Cable from your printer and computer before proceeding.

Step 1: Remove Driver:

1. Click on your Start button

ps 1.png

2. Just type Programs and Features. If a search doesn't automatically start, you may need to type Programs and Features in the 'Ask me Anything' box.

3. Click Programs and Features to launch the window.

4. In Programs and Features, a list of programs installed on your computer will populate. Please scroll down the list and look for your HP Officejet 8600. If you see your HP Laserjet listed, click it and choose Uninstall.

5. Please follow any onscreen prompts to complete the uninstall. Once the uninstall has completed successfully please close Programs and Features.

6. Next, click on your Start menu again

7. This time type Devices

8. Click Devices and Printers to launch the window.

ps 2.png

9. In Devices and Printers look for your HP Officejet 8600. If you see if please right click on it and choose 'Remove' or 'Delete'

10. Once your HP Laserjet is no longer showing in Devices and Printers please click on any device under the Printers list once just to highlight it. Click Print Server Properties at the top

ps 5.png

11. Click on the Drivers tab

12. Look for your HP Officejet 8600 driver. If listed, please click on it and choose Remove

13. Select Remove Driver Only

14. Select OK

15. Click Apply and OK under the Print Server Properties window.

16. Close Devices and Printers. Please proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Clear Temp Files:

1. Click on your Start menu

2. Type Run. Click Run to launch the Run dialogue box.

ps 3.png

3. Type %temp% in the Run box and click OK

ps 4.png

4. When the Temp folder opens, select Ctrl + A at the same time on your keyboard.Everything in this folder will now highlight.

5. Select the 'delete' button on your keyboard. The Temp folder contains temporary internet files. No actual files or folders on your computer will be affected by deleting the Temp files. Should a Temp file still be used than you will automatically get the pop up to 'skip' that item.

6. Close the Temp folder once it is emptied

7. Right click the Recycling Bin on your desktop and select Empty Recycling Bin. Please proceed to the next step.

Step 3: Install Device:

1. Please click here to download the HP Full Feature Software and Driver package
  2. Once downloaded please follow the onscreen prompts to install your printer
  3. Avoid plugging in the USB Cable until the installer prompts you to or configure a wireless printer

Once the installation is complete, please test printing and scanning.

Source posted by my colleague X-23.

If you're still experiencing issues, please continue to use the workaround.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.