Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 9010 AIO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am using HP Smart app. with my Officejet Pro 9010 AIO. When saving a scanned document as pdf file (20 pages colour, scanned with dpi 300), I get a file size of 20MB, and with 150 dpi size of 7MB.  With my previous HP printer the file size was only 400 KB. How can I lower the file size, without loosing scan quality? I tried the lowest option with 75 dpi, but this quality was unacceptable.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Mads1 

Edits - Update Content

New release - Dated July 1, 2021

Version 128.1.219.0

Comments

A test of PDF scan - simple eight page document - shows the "scan size" bug is fixed.

This is true for my test - everyone should, of course, try this for themselves.

NOTE:  Regardless, there is no "going back" to an older release.

If you have Automatic Updates switched on in the Store, the app is likely updated now.

You can also manually check / update applications.

Microsoft Store - Application Updates

Windows (Start) > Microsoft Store

In the upper right corner, click on the three horizontal dots ...

Select Settings > App updates > "Update apps automatically" = ON

In the upper right corner, click on the three horizontal dots ...

Select Downloads and Updates > Get Updates

If the application updates, consider:  Restart the computer and log in

==============================================================

Original Content

There is a reported bug in HP Smart that inflates both the page size and the file size.

HP is working on the solution.

When the fix is ready, a new version of HP Smart will be released in the  Microsoft Store

What to do while waiting for the solution?

What if?

If you have a "fat" file for which you no longer have the original document,

If you need to have a properly sized scan file,

Print the document at a reduced "Shrink to Fit" size,

Re-scan the printed document into the computer using OTHER than HP Smart.

---------------------------------------------------------

For now, use alternative software to scan documents.

NOTE for Windows S mode users:

• Windows in S mode only allows installation of applications from the Microsoft Store.  Windows "S" mode scan options are therefore limited to those applications you can install from the Store (marked in Green).
  • Windows 10 (full Windows) can make use of any of the "blue" or the "green" options.

Example list...

NOTE:  Alternatives do not necessarily provide the same settings / features as HP Smart.

HP Scan - part of the Full Feature Software / full driver printer software.

HP Scan and Capture

Microsoft Store (formally Windows Store) - Requires Windows 8 or higher

Download-Save-Install   HP Scan and Capture

Description

HP Scan and Capture is a simple and fun application that captures photos or documents from any* HP scanning device or your computer's built-in camera.  These images can be previewed, edited, saved, and shared to other applications.

* NOTE:  The correct HP drivers for your scanner must be installed from HP's Support Website.

NAPS2 – “Not Another PDF Scanner”

• Download-Save-Install >  NAPS2 
  • Not another PDF Scanner – free program scans PDF files and image(s) as .jpeg or PDF file(s).
  • Includes an OCR feature – may need Ghostscript add-on (See NAPS2 forum entry)
  • Read the Support pages for information
  • Download, save, and install the NAPS2 software to use.

Windows Scan  Microsoft Store (formally Windows Store) - Requires Windows 8 or higher

Paint (mspaint)

Older software - Nothing fancy - does work for scanning images and saving them. 

• Open  Paint
  • Expand the “white background” area to a size to accommodate your data.  If unknown, try 1300x1300
  • File > Select “From Scanner or Camera
  • Select your printer > Follow the prompts to scan and then save your item

Possibly

Webscan – located in the Embedded Web Server (EWS) – No additional software

NOTE:  Webscan feature  is not available on Laser printers

If the printer is on the network,

If the EWS feature is available on your printer,

First Time Use Only:  Enable Webscan

• Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar
  • Tab Settings > Security > Administrator Settings > Enable >> Check box next to Webscan
  • Click Apply to save any changes

Next

• Tab Scan > Webscan 
  • Set up Webscan the way you want it - for example, set the Source to ADF
  • Click Start Scan to scan your document / image using Webscan
  • After the scan is complete, Save the scan to your computer.

==========================================================================

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Product Home

Enter the type and name of your HP device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Your discussion was very helpful. Any more info on an ETA for a fix? Frankly I am gobsmacked that this is even an issue. How long has scanner tech been around anyway?     ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

HP Recommended

@webweweave 

You are welcome.

HP never updates those of us outside of HP about HP matters.

The only information I can glean from my sources is that the fix might be available sooner rather than later.

That means nothing, of course - plans change, bugs are persistent, code fights back.

We wait.  😑

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I'll wait but am also looking at the options you provided. Very helpful, esp HP Scan and Capture. I was only somewhat successful with EWS Webscan (I've messed with so many things since I worked with Webscan that I can't remember what the problem was once I solved getting logged in and admin rights for it established 😝 . And we wait...

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.