Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
G4050
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I am in desperate need for the installation CDs for the Scanjet G4050 similar to the one I bought originally with the scanner but which is too old for WIN10.

The driver availabe in the download section "setup_full_G4050_140_222" does not correct my problem. Therefore the software  "HP Imaging Device Functions 14.5" and FreeOCR v.5.4" must be included. (Perhaps in a different version)

Is anyone able to give me a hint where to download or to buy?

Thanks in advance

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi Erik,

Please use HP Print and scan doctor to identify the issue.

Alternatively you can download drivers for Windows XP or Windows 7, this is also compatiable for your OS.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Hi ErikGo,

Can you elaborate more what is the status of your G4050 after setup the latest software release.

The CD come with the unit during purchase are not WIN10 compatible.

Best Regards,

MigHty_Prime

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

@MigHty_Prime wrote:

Hi ErikGo,

Can you elaborate more what is the status of your G4050 after setup the latest software release.

The CD come with the unit during purchase are not WIN10 compatible.

Best Regards,

MigHty_Prime

Hi,

I will try, to cut the story short:

1) Begin of problem: "hpqkygrp.exe" opens the solution center window for a second and that's it.

This started apprx. 4 weeks ago out of the blue.

2) "setup_full_G4050_140_222" is not able, do remove thr relevant software completely. It said, it is going to remove "scan G4050", process is completed but when I am trying to re-install, the "scan G4050" is not showing up as installation option.

3) I had a long telephone session with HP Tomas Kielkewicz. I gave him direct access to my computer. Unfortunately, he could not find anything wrong with my setup.

4) Therefore my last hope was the original setup CD suitable for either WIN 7 / WIN 8, therefore also for WIN 10.

Run a forced removal of all HP related software and try an installation from the original CD.

5) "Scan Doctor 4.9" was happy up to the point of "Testscan". This was completed with error message, that the Photosmart software was not found. (installed is HP Imaging Device Functions 14.5)

6) "HP Scan Extended" is running without problem but offers basic functionality only.

Finally: WIN10 1703.1563.608, 32bit / Norton Security (had been/ had not been deactivated during multible installations)

Thanks a lot in advance

Erik

HP Recommended

Hi ErikGo,

If you printer software was installed before your upgrade, I would try uninstalling the software completely and then reinstall it using the newest driver available on HP's website. Here is how to clean all of the drivers out of your computer;

I recommend referencing the steps in this document to make sure you haven't missed anything; Uninstalling the Printer Software - use as a rough guide, but the steps for Windows 8 should be pretty close to Windows 10. 

You may also want to Delete files using Disk Cleanup - make sure to put check marks in all of the selection boxes when available. (Again Windows 😎

Other places software drivers may hide would be in your Device Manager. 

To Open the Device Manager:
1) Enter Device Manager into the Search field.
2) Click on the Device Manager.
3) You may want to click on View, at the top of the windows, and then Show hidden devices
4) Expand the device types, and check for any driver related to your printer. 
5) To remove a device from device manager, right-click the device name from the list and then click Uninstall.

* For more information see Device Manager Information for Windows 8/10.

Download the newest software package here; 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-scanjet-g4050-photo-scanner/3236371

Then check for Windows updates; Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 😎

You can consider download windows 7 installer and try.

Best Regards,

MigHty_Prime

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

@MigHty_Prime wrote:

Hi ErikGo,

Reply 1: If you printer software was installed before your upgrade, I would try uninstalling the software completely and then reinstall it using the newest driver available on HP's website. Here is how to clean all of the drivers out of your computer;

Reply 2 : I recommend referencing the steps in this document to make sure you haven't missed anything; Uninstalling the Printer Software - use as a rough guide, but the steps for Windows 8 should be pretty close to Windows 10. 

Reply 3 : You may also want to Delete files using Disk Cleanup - make sure to put check marks in all of the selection boxes when available. (Again Windows 😎

Reply 4 : Other places software drivers may hide would be in your Device Manager. 

To Open the Device Manager:
1) Enter Device Manager into the Search field.
2) Click on the Device Manager.
3) You may want to click on View, at the top of the windows, and then Show hidden devices
4) Expand the device types, and check for any driver related to your printer. 
5) To remove a device from device manager, right-click the device name from the list and then click Uninstall.

* For more information see Device Manager Information for Windows 8/10.

Download the newest software package here; 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-scanjet-g4050-photo-scanner/3236371

Then check for Windows updates; Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 😎

You can consider download windows 7 installer and try.

Best Regards,

MigHty_Prime

Reply 1: the scanner was running after the upgrade to WIN 10 with the most current driver for more than a year.
When my problem showed up +/- 4 weeks ago, I uninstalled the WIN update from August (because this was the only program modification around this time) - but without any affect.

Reply 2: this is, what I could uninstall in "Programs and Features"
                                         HP Imaging Device Functions 14.5
                                         HP Scan Extended
                                         HP Update
"scan G4050" had been deleted by the HP software - but obviously incomplete.

Reply 3 : was done before and is basically clean.

Repy 4 : I did this as well, reinstalled the software "setup_full_G4050_140_222", clicked on the scan icon on my desktop - same result like before: popped up and silence.

--------------------------

Present status:
when I am trying to install with "setup_full_G4050_140_222" at this point, the software offers the deinstallation of one HP component : "HP Imaging Device Functions". I accepted this before and the software had been deleted.
Than I was able to run the HP Installation, BUT "HP Update" ONLY. "scan G4050" and "Imaging Device Functions" were X-out because "installed already", which was wrong.
But to run "HP Scan Extended" "Imaging Device Functions" are mandatory. Because this is not available as a separate download, I had to start "Windows Recovery" from a safe date

Sorry for this mess.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi ErikGo,

Uninstall the Win Update on ugust will not help to revert the thing co it basically changed your registry and some of the required component probably no longer there. Thing will be some registry incomplete concern.

Did you do the clean up at device manager as well?

If thee is printer detected, removed it.

Unplung the printer and install again.

Wondering how the "HP Imaging Device Function" removed?

Scan G4050 is located at "Basic Driver" installation under the "Driver-Product Installation Software" tab.

Best Regards,

MigHty Prime 

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

@MigHty_Prime wrote:

Hi ErikGo,

Uninstall the Win Update on August will not help to revert the thing co it basically changed your registry and some of the required component probably no longer there. Thing will be some registry incomplete concern.

Realized this as well  😞

Did you do the clean up at device manager as well?  >> done

If thee is scanner detected, removed it.  >> done

Unplug the scanner and install again.  >> done

Wondering how the "HP Imaging Device Function" removed?  >> done by the Deinstallation function of "full setup.."

Uninstall.JPG

Scan G4050 is located at "Basic Driver" installation under the "Driver-Product Installation Software" tab.

>> I tried this. Installation was completed but without affect.

Best Regards,

MigHty Prime 

Hi MigHty Prime,

thanks for the reply.

I added my answers directly to your message.

As I see it, the clean installation of the "setup_full_G4050_140_222" is hampert by an incomplete removal of the previously installed software. Is there any way to remove all residuals? I tried this with "IOBit Uninstaller" but also this program did not remove the HP related entries completely.

Kind regards

Erik

HP Recommended

Hi ErikGo,

The thing seem to be quite complicated.

The installation removal manually is risky.

If remove the wrong files may cause other program or part functional issue.

It tough to proceed due to software problem,

May be you can have some of this answer from PC sofftware section.

Best Regards,

MigHty Prime

I am an HP employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.