Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I pushed down the green tab and clased the ADF.  Then I opened it again and had to push down the green tab again.  Is it supposed to do that?

HP Recommended

Hello blissteach,

I just wanted to make sure that it was still in tact, yes once you push down on the tab and close the ADF you can hear it click back up, that is ok and normal functionality of the printer. I would like to make sure the 8600 firmware is up to date.

On the front panel of your printer please select the ePrint (web services) button, see image below:

eprint.jpg

Once you are in the ePrint menu, I would like you to scroll down to the update option and check for updates, if you have this set to update automatically it may already be up to date. I would like you to post back here with the results if unsuccessful and I will send you a private message on the Forum so we can continue from there.

I appreciate all your efforts.

Thanks again,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Okay, did that. No update needed. It seems to be a mechanical problem because it pulls paper in, but pulls one side in more than the other.
HP Recommended

I have a similar problem in that my ADF pulls the paper through, but instead of passing completely through, it makes it about 75% of the way.  The ADF then retracts the paper a fraction of an inch (at this point, I receive an error on my computer saying that there's a paper jam).  It pauses and then after perhaps 2 seconds, it finally ejects the paper.  I took a video I could show you, but I cannot attach it to this posting.

HP Recommended

I have also noticed that both of my HP 8600's pull the papers unevenly. Most of the time, it does not affect the end result, but occasionally it ends up causing a paper jam. I am going to check for updates when I get to the office today and will report back, but since it's an intermittent problem, I will wait a week or two to make sure it's corrected. 

HP Recommended

Hey folks,

I see that you are always having a similar issue with the ADF not picking up the paper properly, or pulling it in sideways. Have you made sure that the 8600 printers are up to date? Have you done the recent firmware update for the printer as it does improve paper performance? Also please let me know which type of paper you are currently using.

If you could let me know your current Operating system and I can give you the link for the recent firmware updates. I will watch for your reply.

Thank you,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
I have OSX 10.8. I have verified that I have the most recent firmware updates. I have tried three different papers of various weights ranging from standard copy paper, to 24lb stationery paper, to stiff brochure paper.

I should note that the printer has no problem scanning from the glass. This appears to be a problem just with the ADF.
HP Recommended

Sorry--resetting the printer did not solve my ADF problem.  The ADF is still pulling paper in crookedly and resulting in a jam every time.  It pulls one side in faster than the other or one side is pulling the paper in.  One or the other.  As I stated earlier, I believe that it is a mechanical issue, not a firmware issue.

HP Recommended

Hi blissteach,

Yes, I agree I will now have to refer you to  phone support as it  is probably a mechanical issue. I wanted to make sure all troubleshooting steps were covered, so you were not repeating steps over the phone.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl.

Thank you for all your continued efforts,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I want to follow up on my post from 12/19/13 to which I have not received a response.

To re-cap, my ADF pulls the paper through but once it begins to eject the paper on the bottom of the ADF, it eject about 75% of the paper, pauses, retracts about half an inch, and then pauses again when an error appears on the screen saying that there is a paper jam.  After several seconds, the ADF then ejects the paper, but the scan/fax/copy was not completed.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.