Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 6520 all in one
OS X

After our latest OS update, our HP Photosmart 6520 has had issues scanning.  Generally a reboot or working through the HP Scan on the computer would work.  Today, I downloaded the newest driver hoping that would fix the issue.  Now the scanner is not recognizing the computer, and I cannot enable the Scan to Computer function through HP Utility on my Mac.  The print funtionality is working just fine.   This the message that I see in HP Utility:

"The HP software required for Scan to Computer could not be located on this computer. Please download and install the latest HP recommended software for your device from http://www.hp.com/support, and then try again."

I've searched the HP site, but I am unable to find anything other than the driver that I downloaded for Mac OS X 10.10.  

What can I do to get my scanner up and running again?  Thank you for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @kjnowicki 

I'd like to help you with your scan feature.

Let's reset the printing system, repair disk permissions, re-add the printer using the right driver, and try to scan again.

Reset Printing System

1. Click the Apple icon (   ), and then click System Preferences.
  2. In the Hardware section, click Print & Fax/Scan. The Print & Fax/Scan  dialog box opens.
  3. Right-click (or  Ctrl  +click) in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system…
  4. Click OK to confirm the reset.
  5. Type the correct Name and Password.
  6. Click OK to reset the printing system. The Print & Fax dialog box shows no printer selected
Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Repair Disk Permissions
  1. On the Dock, click Applications, and then click Utilities.
  2. Double-click Disk Utility.
  3. Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left (by default this is "Macintosh HD").
  4. Click the Repair Disk Permissions button at the bottom of the window.
  5. Once the repair is complete, restart the computer and the printer.

Now we can go ahead and install the software from here;  HP-Inkjet-SW-OSX-Mavericks_v12.34.44.dmg

When you add the printer, please ensure you are using the HP driver.

1. Select Add other Printer or Scanner                                                      
    2. Select the printer you are adding and next to 'Use' you can select the printer driver 

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @kjnowicki 

I'd like to help you with your scan feature.

Let's reset the printing system, repair disk permissions, re-add the printer using the right driver, and try to scan again.

Reset Printing System

1. Click the Apple icon (   ), and then click System Preferences.
  2. In the Hardware section, click Print & Fax/Scan. The Print & Fax/Scan  dialog box opens.
  3. Right-click (or  Ctrl  +click) in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system…
  4. Click OK to confirm the reset.
  5. Type the correct Name and Password.
  6. Click OK to reset the printing system. The Print & Fax dialog box shows no printer selected
Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Repair Disk Permissions
  1. On the Dock, click Applications, and then click Utilities.
  2. Double-click Disk Utility.
  3. Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left (by default this is "Macintosh HD").
  4. Click the Repair Disk Permissions button at the bottom of the window.
  5. Once the repair is complete, restart the computer and the printer.

Now we can go ahead and install the software from here;  HP-Inkjet-SW-OSX-Mavericks_v12.34.44.dmg

When you add the printer, please ensure you are using the HP driver.

1. Select Add other Printer or Scanner                                                      
    2. Select the printer you are adding and next to 'Use' you can select the printer driver 

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

So, I am following your instructions with this issue until I get to the part where you say to click on the Repair button at the bottom. No repair button.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.