Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

Does anyone know how to open a HP Scanjet G4050 so I can clean the inside glass as it has turn filmy?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Nice idea, but the instructions fail to mention nothing happens after the four screws are removed. I had to pry and use considerable force to get the top apart from the bottom. I cleaned the glass, twice. When I first opened it the glass seemed "greasy" it had an oily film all over it. I ended up opening the thing twice and using Windex the second time to clean the glass properly.

I'm still seeing streaks in scanned images of slides. I wonder if the scanning head itself needs to be cleaned. I can see a screw over the part that moves. I'm afraid to open it because I worry I might not get it back together properly. I can't access the scanning head itself so I blew canned air through the slot.

Does anyone know if there is a safe way to reach the scanning head and clean it properly?

HP Recommended

Thanks for the link. I had more difficulty than I expected opening the scanner. The screws come out easily enough but the unit is tough to open. I eventually applied enough force to pry the top and bottom halves apart. I had to do this twice. The first time I found the glass covered in an oily sheen. I thought I cleaned it but after reassembling I notice smudge marks on the inside of the glass. I opened it again and cleaned thoroughly with Windex. The glass is now quite clean on both sides.

But, I'm still having streaking when I scan color slides. I couldn't open the scan head easily so I didn't try. I think the dirt is on the scan head. Is there a safe way to clean the scanning head itself? I see one screw on the covering of the part that slides. If I open it, can I reach the lamp and clean it safely?

Thank you very much!

HP Recommended

Dunno if you're still checking this a year later, but I'm curious still how you ended up getting the top cover off of the glass? I agree that the manual isn't very clear after taking out the four screws; did you have to use a prying tool or something? I've tried to take it off with my hands but it's just on there too much. Hoping when I clean it that I don't have the same problem with the streaks as well.

Thanks,

Aaron

HP Recommended

Don't know if any of you can help me with the disassembly.  The link about how to do it is not valid anymore.  Where are the 4 screws.  Also for the one who did it you can use distilled water to keep it from streaking.

HP Recommended
I did end up getting it, wish I was able to make a video or something to help you out. Those black dots all over the underside actually are caps to screws, they just have adhesive on them so they're a little difficult to pry off.

I personally didn't have an issue with the streaking, I just did a couple rounds of Windex and it worked fine for me. I don't think the glass inherently has anything wrong with it that make it streaky.
HP Recommended

I can pry the bottom off but I'm left with a solid bottom

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.