Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So the product specifications list OCR but I cannot find it in any of the tools (I installed the full software set).

I searched and found people suggested HP Scan Extended, but that doesn't offer OCR.

Could someone please let me know how do scan to PDF with OCR so the text is embedded in the PDF?  

I was already disappointed to find out the scanner doesn't really do duplex scanning, The product datasheet is quite misleading, requiring a manual process of flipping the pages over. If it can't do OCR I'll be taking it back for a refund.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@psike 

You are correct, the Datasheet indicates the ADF is single sided.

The specifications do indicate the OCR is included in the Scan software - within the Full Feature Software .

Examples - Your product may look similar to the examples

Officejet Pro 9025 Scan Menus

9025_HP_Scan_Menu_19025_HP_Scan_Menu_1

9025_HP_Scan_OCR_19025_HP_Scan_OCR_1

If if the OCR option is missing for any reason, there are alternatives.

Interestingly, I have HP Scan Extended showing with OCR.  NO matter, of course, if you cannot see it, it doesn't matter at all what I can see.

NAPS2 – “Not Another PDF Scanner”

• Download-Save-Install > NAPS2 
  • Not another PDF Scanner – free program scans PDF files and image(s) as .jpeg or PDF file(s).
  • Includes an OCR feature – may need Ghostscript add-on (See NAPS2 forum entry)
  • Read the Support pages for information
  • Download, save, and install the NAPS2 software to use.

and

OCR Scan Software

7 Best Free OCR Software Apps to Convert Images into Text - 2019

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

HP OfficeJet Pro 8020 All-in-One Printer series

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi,

I reinstalled the whole package and still no OCR.

My screen in HP Scan does not offer OCR ( as below ).

I appreciate your suggestions but they are not what the datasheet suggests will come with this. Why do I have to go to free tools which do not create PDF with embedded text, 

The datasheet says:

Scanner advanced features
OCR (Optical Character Recognition); Smart Taks shortcuts: 1-click customizable scan to cloud destinations, email, and print, create editable, searchable documents by scanning from phone or printer; Smart Tasks destinations: Dropbox, Google Drive, One drive, email recipients, print

Now it appears HP is saying it doesn't provide OCR. How do I raise a support ticket on this as I believe it's misleading and I would like access to the software that will allow me to do this as I reasonable expected.

image.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.