Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Using the HP Easy Scan software I was previously able to scan using the flatbed or ADF successfully. However recently I am no longer able to use the flatbed. Whenever I try I get the message "Automatic Document Feeder is Empty". When I select the source as "Automatic" and EVEN WHEN I SELECT THE SOURCE "Flatbed" the same error message is shown. I can still scan successfully using the ADF.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Is it Mojave 10.14, or may you have Catalina 10.15?

Please try using HP Smart or Apple Image Capture instead:

https://support.hp.com/sk-en/document/c04788799

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Is it Mojave 10.14, or may you have Catalina 10.15?

Please try using HP Smart or Apple Image Capture instead:

https://support.hp.com/sk-en/document/c04788799

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi ShlomiL,

you are correct I am on Catalina but that option wasn't available when I created the problem.

I tried your suggestion to use Apple Image Capture and it worked! Thanks for that! Much appreciated. So the problem must be with the HP Easy Scan software.

HP Recommended

Had the same issue with my MAC running Catalina. Never had this problem before. Apple Image Capture also worked for me!

Thank You!

HP Recommended

An alternative work-around for the flat-bed scanner not working under Catalina is to configure the Scan to Email option. I had the same issues as the poster, but after setting up Scan to Email, I'm able to successfully initiate scans at the printer using the flatbed.

HP Recommended

As far as I know, this was before c=Catalina.

I had just installed the lates drivers and the full version, which I didn't have before. 

In the setup the flatbed works for the testing.

I've opened and closed the feeder to make sure it wasn't overriding, so that's not the issue.

I can now select flatbed, which I couldn't do before, but I still get the no paper error message.

HP Recommended

I tried the "scan to email workaround", but could not make it work.     I tried to factory reset and re-install everything from scratch and then updated all the printer software.   I wasted about 6 hours messing with this and it is still not working - I can not scan from flatbed, and any type of document feeder scan seizes up after that "cancelling scan".    The big problem is that the HP printer seems to have lots of security features to stop you doing anything unless you are an "administrator".   By default scanning is banned and you really have to be a computer genius to turn it on via the "Additional Settings" (Good luck with that)

My printer is for home use, and I want all these security features off, but HP makes it very difficult for a home user to do this.   Also when something doesn't work, you can't turn off the printer with the off switch.  It seizes up.   You are left with no choice but to unplug the **bleep** thing. 

Frankly I find this much too buggy for my liking.  It puts me off HP as a brand.   Hp should constantly test their products, especially when a new piece of operating software is released.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.