Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

Where are you exporting the wlmail.reg file? And Im not getting an option to merge anywhere, Where should I be to get this option?

HP Recommended

The answer that works for won't scan to email is the registry hack described by wbed in this forum:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/officejet-8620-pro-won-t-scan-to-emal/td-p/...

It works because apparently the scan to email application is hard coded to outlook.exe. No other program works.

I had no registry entry for outlook.exe in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\. So I clicked on it and made a new key named outlook.exe. I modified the default entry to the full path including thunderbird.exe. I then added an entry for Path, which I modified the entry to just the folder containing thunderbird.exe.

This tricks the operating system to go to thunderbird.exe when it looks for outlook.exe.

I did that and thunderbird popped up no trouble.

This scan application needs to be fixed, and I don't know why it hasn't.

Nothing else suggested worked.

HP Recommended

mrmikel, thank you for the solution, I felt frustrated when I found that such a printer,quick scanner,a pretty scan application, cannot scan to mail... 😞

But following your indications I managed to solve it.

Another solution with the same result can be made like this...

In my case I had Thunderbird installed... Outlook was not present in the system.

Starting Regedit to see the registry entries, I navigated to  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\

THere I found a  thunderbird.exe registry entry. I right clicked on it and selected Export.It asked to save somewhere to a file... I choosed  the name  thunder and saved it to the desktop. (you can chose any other name)

Next on the thunder file from the desktop I just right clicked and selected EDIT.

The content was somethink like this

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\thunderbird.exe]
@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Mozilla Thunderbird\\thunderbird.exe"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Mozilla Thunderbird"

I just changed the line

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\thunderbird.exe]

into

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\outlook.exe]

then FILE/SAVE

then on the thunder file from the desktop, I just double clicked and was asked if I want to add the registry entries, I confirmed with yes.

I restarted the HP scanner application, selected Email as PDF (or Email as JPG, depending of what you want) and at the end of the scan, Thunderbird started, made a new mail and attached the scanned file.

The purpose of the export registry is that you don't need to create the registry entries manually and search the right path for your email client.Maybe it's a bit simpler approach.

thank you again mrmikel !

by the way my printer is a M225DN

HP Recommended

Sounds like a good solution to me. Many people are not comfortable editing the registry.

The question remains why is this not fixed by HP???  It could be done in the format of the Microsoft fixits and just ask for the name of the mail program and patch the name into the registry. No reason so many people should be deprived of this function.

HP Recommended

What I concluded in the last 1-2 years is that some drivers,firmwares are just unavailable from some vendors and some things are known only by technical personnel, so the wanted direction is... ask us,we will fix it, you just pay for the fix.

Same at the cars,cheap printers...the car or the device is a bit cheaper but the replacements costs you because the quality of the parts is not anymore the old and good one that was.

You pay more on the servicing or on the replacements but you buy cheaper (initial lower investment)...

Same with 1536dnf... from HP...dying feeders,that's why I buy everything with 3 years warranty.

I had 1536 which failed twice the first year,and other which at at 2year barrier still work fine...and some 3055 which work fine after 8-9 years despite of a lot of pages printed, scanned etc.

But from 5 1536 only 2 had problems.I think it was bad luck. I love the 1536dnf.

HP Recommended

Thank God.

Went around in circles with Forum Helper about client software 3 months ago.

You would think HP programmers would have fixed this by 1/7/16.

HP Recommended

I worked directly in the registry editor. It doesn't matter where you export it to, so long as you can find it to open it with notepad. I think what is being called merge is actually import.

And still why is this not fixed, since it applies to the software used by many many all in one printers, not just the printer mentioned in the article?

HP Recommended

Looks like a great result and I would ike to do this workaround. Please advise how to get to wlmail.exe in the registry. I have looked through theo registry and not yet found it. Thanks.

I have Windows 7 and Officejet Pro 8610 with email set up on printer, but want emails to go to Windows Live Mail

HP Recommended

You don't need a registry entry for wlmail. You need to establish an entry for outlook, then point it to Windows Live Mail. That way any calls for outlook go to Windows Live Mail. Does that make any sense?

HP Recommended

registr_outl.pngif you read carefully, It's about modifying a registry entry/record named outlook.exe , re-read the posts above and you will understand.

The system is fooled that it's launching outlook.exe but the registry points to another path...

the registry key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\outlook.exe]

has 2 keys

(Default) which is the full path to OUTLOOK.EXE

eg.      C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE

Path  - which is the folder location where is the OUTLOOK.EXE

eg.       C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\

in a way (and that's good), HP prepared the system to use a default email app, eg. Outlook.exe

any change to the (Default) and Path keys pointing/indicating to another email application will solve the problem

Universal solution:

If you have another email app, just find that application's icon and right click on it, and select Properties

in the Properties window you will find the folowing information:registr_outl.png

Target (example)  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe"  

just delete the " from the begining and the end and you have the (Default) key

Your application will have something similar

update default.png

Insert that in the (Default) key in the registry (double click on the (Default) named key)

Start in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird"

just delete the " from the begining and the end and you have the (Path) key

Insert that in the Path key in the registry (double click on the Path key)

upd path.png

if this is not enough clear, right clic on your email application icon, find the TARGET and START IN lines and paste them here on the forum and I'll answer what to modify

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.