Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5640 Series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After unpacking and setup of new printer (HP Envy 5646 e-All-in-One-printer) and download+install. of Full Function software and -drivers,  printer was accessible to 'HP Printer Assistant' and able to print without problems (fine !).
BUT: Scanning failed due to error "Printer could not be found" (or alike). Diagnostic tool 'HP Print and Scan Doctor'  hung up at point 'Windows (WIA)-scanning'. Consulting 'HP Forum' adviced to check services.msc for services pertaining to hardware detecion, WIA and RPC  (ref.: HP Support Forum Home > Printers > LaserJet > Failure to Scan and WIA error) - but without success.
SOLUTION: Very disappointed noticed message in 'HP Support Assistant' saying "HP Printers - Printer Not Found During Network Driver Setup (Windows)". Following advice in 'HP Customer Support'  for this message, just did a plain restart of PC (not router nor printer) and now scanning worked perfectly !
To be learned: Message concerning driver setup (which I guess had been on from right after SW installation) should have been taken serious right away - on the other hand, I am pretty sure that SW installation procedure DID NOT ADVICE (or DEMAND) computer restart. Driver installation procedures like this should always clearly DEMAND UNCONDITIONAL RESTART  at the end of the procedure (to the benefit of novice users as well...).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @JIL,

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And accept this as the solution to help others find your post helpful.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @JIL,

Thank you for posting on HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I see from the post that you are having issues scanning on your new HP printer. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Does that Scanner bulb light up?

Does the scanner bar move when you open the lid & press the copy button?

Have you checked if the unit can make a standalone copy? If ‘YES’ then it means the scanning hardware of the All-in-One works fine.

Let's start off by performing a hard reset on the printer, router, computer and other devices on the same network.

The following steps temporarily disconnect network and Internet connections and require restarting your computer. Complete any tasks or downloads in progress before continuing.

1. Press the Power button on the printer to turn it off.

2. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

3. Disconnect the power cord from the wireless router.

4. Turn off the computer.

5. Wait for 30 seconds.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the wireless router.

7. Wait for 30 seconds, or until the router is fully on and ready

8. Turn the computer back on.

9. Wait for the computer to reload

10. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

11. Turn the printer back on.

Next step let's try a clean install and try. Follow the steps below:

·         First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

·         Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.

·         Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

·         Restart your computer.

·         Click the bottom-left Start button on the desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.

·         Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.

·         Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer”  – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".

·         Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.

·         Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.

·         Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

·         Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

·         Once done you can try cleaning out your temporary files and cached files. You can try using automated applications like some cleaner software's that you can download from the internet.

·         Now restart your computer again.

·         Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.

·         Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.

·         Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.

·         Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.

·         Click on  http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/en5640/EN5640__Full_WebPack_1107.exe and install the software.

·         Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Next thing, you could also do here is to update the printer firmware, If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to check for the latest firmware update if available for your printer, using this link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/en5640/EN5640_R1628A.exe

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi 

Many thanks for your elaborate answer/solution to my "problem" - but if you read my post a little bit more in details you will find that....

My problem is solved ! (and already solved when post created). 

Root cause to problem: I forgot/neglected to restart PC right after SW installation (Full Function package incuding drivers) - probably misled by the fact the printing, copying, settings admin. from PC, etc. all functioned perfectly right after SW installation.

I couldn't find a specific way to post a "solved problem" - is there such a way in HP Support Forum ?

HP Recommended

Hi @JIL,

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And accept this as the solution to help others find your post helpful.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Is this also the correct procedure with Windows XP SP3? I also don't understand why plugging into a wall outlet is so necessary after at least 3 or more years of running it from a UPS. All of a sudden, the printer is not found. Network won't stay connected. If it can't scan, I can see why it won't fax or copy. But why one day, after all these years.

HP Recommended

Hi @W8n4dLectrishn,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you are having an issue with the printer not found when attempting to scan on your new HP printer. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

What is the Printer product number? (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...) http://hp.care/2bygf7l

What is the Operating System installed on the PC? Windows or Mac OS

Are you able to make a copy from the printer?

Does that Scanner bulb light up?

Does the scanner bar move when you open the lid & press the copy button?

In the meantime, let's start off by performing a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

For more details on why it is recommended to connect the printer directly to the wall outlet is provided in detailed in this link. (Please ignore the header as it is applicable for all HP products).

Let’s first try and make a “photocopy” to determine whether the issue is with the printer or not. Place a document on the scanner glass and choose “Copy” option. If the printer is making a good copy, then the printer hardware is fine.

Please respond to this post with the details to provide you with an accurate solution. 

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world

Available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The info you wanted: I am using HP Officejet 4632. My PC is running Windows XP Pro SP3. I did the hard reset you described and it now prints, copies, scans, and I used the HP Test Fax Service successfully. It is plugged into the wall, but this old apartment does have power surges now and then and hurricanes in the area, too. At some time, I think I'll have to try switching back to my UPS. I can always switch back to the wall if necessary. Thank you very much. Kudos and Thumbs UP!

HP Recommended

Hi @W8n4dLectrishn

I am the The_Fossette. It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that! 

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.