Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HI all

I new here, just like to check that is elitepad 900 G1 able to  upgrade to windows 10?? so far i don't see any post about it, hope to see more post. Also i don't see any ElitePad driver from HP web site for windows 10.

Thank 

41 REPLIES 41
HP Recommended

Hi all,

Currently my ElitePad 900 G1 is running on Windows 8.1 32-bit.

All drivers/utils from HP are on the latest version and I've got the Windows 10 update icon.

Unfortunately it's not possible to update this device at the moment. The update window "Windows 10 herunterladen" (Windows 10 download) tells me "Dieser PC ist für Windows 10 leider nicht geeignet" (

Unfortunately this PC is not suitable for Windows 10).

The detailed reason seems a compatibility problem with the Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator.
I see the following description:
"Dieser Bildschirm wurde vom Hersteller nicht auf eine Kompatibilität mit Windows 10 ausgelegt. Wenden Sie sich an den Hersteller, wenn sie Unterstützung benötigen"
(This screen was designed by the manufacturer not on compatibility with Windows 10. If you need assistance, contact the manufacturer).

So in my opinion an update to Win10 without new drivers is not possible. Perhaps HP or Intel will create a new driver for download or another solution 🙂

Thanks for any further assistance!

HP Recommended

If you have installed the latest BIOS, firmware and drivers, the Windows 10 icon in the taskbar will not report any issues.

I have installed the 32-bit version of Windows 10 Enterprise on my HP ElitePad 900 G1 yesterday evening. I installed the drivers which are intended for the 32-bit version of Windows 8.1. All hardware is recognized now. I have not encountered any hardware issue, for example the touch screen is working fine.

I do not advise upgrading at the moment though. At least not on the HP ElitePad 900 G1. I have enountered many issues. Some issues might be explained by the servers of Microsoft being overloaded, but others are clearly bugs and annoyances in Windows 10 itself. Some examples for your reference below.

When you wish to show all icons in the taskbar, you will shortly see the following screen afterwhich the window crashes and disappears. I have had various open windows disappear on me and they are really closed then, not hidden from view for example, the process is terminated. After a few updates where installed via Windows Update, the screen below at least no longer crashed.

Taskbar.png

Talking about Windows Update, you might have read that you cannot select which updates to install anymore, which I see as very bad development. Windows Update has had a graphical makeover too. It now looks like a child made it in Microsoft Office Word.

Windows Update.png

When opening the Windows Store, I noticed most text was missing. I do not know if one of the updates solved this issue or if it had to do with the servers of Microsoft being overloaded, but the text is now back again in most places...

Apps Home.png

... although some buttons are still missing their text. If you select the button, you can see the text.

Netflix.png

There were at least 23 updates on the default apps out of the box. I did not install any new apps myself. The update window is missing a lot of text, progress bars do not show a percentage, et cetera. The blue button shows the text if you select the button, but elsewhere the text never showed for me.

Update Apps.png

But like I wrote above, some issues might be explained by servers of Microsoft being overloaded perhaps... but that would not explain text not being visible in the search. When I took this screenshot, the grey button did show its text, but at other times it was just plain grey.

Search.png

Some other windows had graphical issues too, such as the Settings window. I have had the below issue happen to me twice already, where the lower part of the window is black. The blue outline shows nicely, it is only in the window itself. Also, the rest of the desktop was not affected. The window itself behaved normally though. I could scroll down, click items, but whatever I did, the lower part of the windows remained black.

Settings.png

In the power options I disabled all kinds of locking of the device as I do not want to re-enter my password. In the Settings window I came across the following option, which acts independently from the power options. Setting this to Never still locked the device after a while though, so this extra setting does not work properly as it seems.

Sign-in.png

Besides the above issues, some other annoyances are that after I installed the display driver, some right click menus now have more space between each line, but not every menu. For example right clicking on the Recycle Bin shows a menu with more space between each line, but right clicking the Desktop shows the menu properly, without added space between each line.

Several pre-installed apps cannot be removed. You can only unpin them from the Start screen. This was also the case with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, but I would have thought that Microsoft would have listened to the complaints.

There is an app called Phone Companion which crashes when started.

There is no big overview anymore of all your programs. Yes, you can go to the all apps menu, but you will see folders there too and you will not see what is inside until you open them, such as Windows Accessories. On Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 you would see the folder, but you would see which programs it contained straight too. This is now gone.

I tried to install the Netflix app as a test. The Windows Store crashed. No error message whatsoever, the window just disappeared and the process was terminated. The second time it seemed to be installed, but nothing happened. Again, no error message whatsoever. In the Windows Store, it does not even show anywhere that it tried to install Netflix and that it failed.

... and then I got an e-mail from Microsoft stating: "It looks like you've reached your device limit for installing apps and games from the Store on your Windows 10 device. If you want to install apps and games from the Store on another Windows 10 device, remove a device from the device list." I had created a new Microsoft account especially for testing however, which contained only one device, my HP ElitePad 900 G1...  The sentence "remove a device from the device list" made me laugh therefore.

I could continue with other things I came across, but these were the most noticeable. Before installing Windows 10 on any other device, I will wait some more time. Maybe try it on a virtual machine first, to see how many of these issues occur on other devices as well. For now I cannot advise Windows 10 to any of our clients. The way it feels to me now is like we have a second Windows Me, Windows Vista or Windows 8... Windows 8.1 solved many of the Windows 8 issues, maybe Windows 10.1 will do the same for Windows 10...

HP Recommended

I also installed W10 32bit on my EP900 G1 2 days ago. It is not a workhorse, so I took the "risk"

I upgraded, and the upgrade using the ISO file for W8.1 32bit to W10 32bit (Upgrade, not create media) went very well. No issues at all. Generally, the system works OK, I guess that some of the problems I experience may also come from not yet fully understanding W10 :). For instance I have not yet fully figured out the changes when running in Tablet mode or not.

Accounts and connections were transferred perfectly OK (the tablet is a member of a domain in the office). So far I only used it at home attached to a local Wifi.

The only issue I currently experienced is a missing driver for QC Atheros Bluetooth. The device is not "powering on" according to the message in the Device Management list. I downloaded the latest AR3002 Bluetooth 4.0+HS driver (still 8.1, W10 drivers are all greyed out) from the Atheros website and will try to install that tonight. 

I also realized some graphics issues such as are described in the post above, for instance the missing text in click fields (Cortana settings)

I am sure the situation will improve over time. I would not believe that HP is "giving up" all the customers with an EP900 already............

Rgds from Switzerland

HP Recommended

Thanks all for the replies!

I'll check and do further tests after my vacation 🙂

Rgds also from Switzerland 🙂

HP Recommended
Hi all.

I am experiencing exactly the same issues like MB95. If someone has an answer to that, a notification would be kind.
What really surprises me, is that HP is not able to provide he necessary drivers prior to a new OS launch for its devices. The Windows 10 launch again could not be that surprising to them, right?

Best regards, BOFH
HP Recommended

Try 1176 version of video driver.  It's standart version for win10. Mey be, it will help

HP Recommended

I upgraded my Elitepad 900 to Windows 10 also. At first I was discouraged because after making me wait from reserving the download, it told me I wasn't able to upgrade because of the graphics driver. I decided to force the upgrade anyway to see for myself. I downloaded the file found on this page https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO for 32 bit, and chose upgrade. 

I have been running Windows 10 for a few days now with no problems whatsoever. I even think it makes Windows 8.1 seem sluggish compared to how the tablet performs overall now. It's a definite improvement! Glad I did it.

Here's the link I used to get all the latest drivers and BIOS. It took care of the thermal driver and some others as well. http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5328403&swItemId=ob_150288_1&swEnvOid=415...

HP Recommended

Follow the guide here, then you will be able to upgrade your Elitepad 🙂

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-update-installa...

HP Recommended

this is the exact problem i am having too.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.