Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

5 days (!) I got a new HP Stream 7. While copying some large files to the desktop from the C: drive, the tablet crashed. When it booted up, I got the white "HP BIOS UPDATE" screen with a running % meter that said it was restoring the BIOS (2048 blocks). After a couple minutes, the tablet went dark, then tried to boot again and went to the BIOS Update screen again. It continues to do this loop endlessly. I left it for over an hour and it was still doing it. 

I've tried powering it totally off and it still does not boot up correctly. Is it totally screwed up? I was COPYING FILES TO THE DESKTOP...doesn't seem like something so intense that it would corrupt the BIOS lol. And this tablet is brand new with the only thing installed on it being iTunes. 

Main question: Is there a way to do a factory restore? I was not given any MicroSD card with boot/recovery data on it.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hey @cpjds1 ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand your Stream 7 tablet is stuck in an eternal loop after crashing while copying files to the desktop.

Try shutting down the tablet, and booting it up by pressing the Power and Volume down buttons. This should get you into the recovery options.

Let me know if that helps.

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi!

Thanks for the reply. I tried power up using the power and volume down buttoms. However, it goes right to the HP BIOS Update screen. No recovery options or anything.

HP Recommended

Hello,

yes, I have the same issue here in Germany.  My Stream loops endless in the BIOS update loop. No key combination changes its behavior: BIOS Update, BIOS Update, BIOS Update....

I called service in Germany Ticket(Personal information removed). They told me that I will receive a box with either a replacement tablet or just to send it to the repair shop. Nothing happened in the last 5 days...

regards

Thomas

HP Recommended

I will probably need to call customer support if there doesn't seem to be a way to boot the tablet up. It seems very sketchy that simply copying a folder of files to the desktop caused it to crash to the point of being unrecoverable.

HP Recommended

If you run the battery completely down and then plug the charger in, it will display "resetting CMOS" when it first boots. 

This may fix it. It fixed mine although my problem was a little different, it would attempt to boot but after about 5 seconds, it would go to a black screen.  I could not get to the Windows log in prompt. You can hasten the battery discharge by running the UEFI Startup Menu F2 System Diagnostics => System Tests => Extensive Test => Loop until error. If you have an OTG adpater, you can also plug in a USB hub without power and/or whatever USB devices you have and that will pull it down faster.

HP Recommended

lol at cmos using main battery as backup. Whats worse is the electronics are allowing the lithium ion battery discharge so low that it can't power the cmos. (If you discharge a lith ion %100 there is a chance you can no longer charge it again). 

HP Recommended

There may be a danger in discharging it 100% although I have done it three times on the Stream 7 without any apparent issues. 

Another alternative is removing the  back cover and disconnecting the battery, there are instructions in HP's documentation.  I'm not sure how easy it is, it appears to be taped in there.

HP Recommended

My problem is solved ! I broke the BIOS Update loop !

Running the battery down until the system powered off did the trick. I charged the unit a few minutes. It powered up and asked for the bitlocker key. I logged into microsoft, got the key and entered it. Windows 8.1 booted up with all my settings.

thanks community !

HP Recommended
Stream 7 is still in a loop with bios update and will not shut down. Any help would be great !
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.