Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
  • The regular keyboard on my HP Split X2 is not working.  The on-screen keyboard works.  This is my son's laptop/tablet for school, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hi ideas123, welcome to the HP Forums. You say the keyboard does not work, but the on screen keyboard does. Does this mean that nothing you press on the keyboard responds? Are there lights present on the keyboard? Try any relevant steps in this troubleshooting document: Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 😎.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hello

my new hp spit 13.3 keyboard doesnt work properly

some keys just stop working

i have issues with the following key:

"O"  "L" "9" and ">"

What should i do

they stop working every now and then but now they are still down

HP Recommended

the same problrm is ocurring with my laptop of the same model. the mousepad works but the keypad does not. the internet and mute lights are on.

HP Recommended

AS of today my sisters HP Split Keyboard is not working. I ahve no  lights and ther eis no mouse pointer on the screen. As of today , only the on scren keyboard works and he hates it. I dont think it fare that I have always been a fan of HP product only to be disappointed especially whne it almost time for her college courses.

I have tried removing the Keyboard in Device manager still no luck.

I have tried a diffrent base meanign my wife has the same computer so I took my sistes upper half and place it on my wife keyboard of her HP split and still no luck.

I have tried usign my desktop keyboard and mouse and it doesn't even attemp to install the drivers for them to function.

I have tokane the updated chipset drivers and still no luck.

The synaptic software was currupted for soem reason but I reinstalled it, I even tried a Virus scan and no virus at all.

the base of the HP split does not respond with any button press or when I even put the tablet piece back on.

I find it strangr that it still charges as when I put the to back on the base and battery icon start to charge. The next thing  I find strange is that when I attemped to up date the bios, I saw the mouse point and I was able to move it around and I even press the enter button for the confirmation of updating the bios on the bios update screen. 

Right now I wish I can getinto the bios to see the settings. The base chages the computer/table but there is no mouce icon when the desktop is loaded and there is no lights on the keyboard buttions especially the cap lock button.

I really dont think the keyboard is broken but I nee dto know what els I can do.

HP Recommended

One person was having the same problem with his keyboard base on the X2 and found that the battery terminal connection was poorly attached. It worked after he reattatched it solid.

This may or may not be your problem but perhaps worth a look.

Re: Pavilion X2 dock battery problem - HP Support Forum - 4155758

HP Recommended
Ok I was able to come to a conclusion. I learned that the keyboard is in fact functioning as I tried again with my wife's computer as she has the same. I'm thinking the dealing issue is from the software itself as of right now the onscreen keyboard does not work do to the tablet touchscreen function.

It like one issue after another I think now I need to get windows restored to factory but the keyboard or the onboard keyboard is not functioning under windows. I think my windows is in fact corrupted some how. How do I get the table itself to boot into recovering mode with out keyboard function?
HP Recommended

Will the keyboard then work before Windows is initiated? Specifically in the bios?

IF it will, can you connect the keyboard and access the recovery partition via tapping the F11 key while first powering up or holding F11 and simultaneously pressing the power button?

Page 65 of this X2 manual explains...

Remove Everything and Reinstall Windows

HP Recommended
No it does not as when I start to jam on the esc or f1 it goes quickly to the login screen also I see something that was never there before and that is my internet has a red x on it
HP Recommended

Make sure you tap repeatedly very fast when using the F keys at start up.

IF that will not work, Can you detach the keyboard and see if you can access the recovery by pressing the power button and simultaneous either the up or down volume button?

Most tablets will open startup options this way and give a touch screen option to choose from. I don't know if the split X2 will also do this but worth a try.

If that does not work I am at a loss. To access a pen drive to install a windows ISO back to factory, you need a working keyboard.  Sorry.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.