Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

There is no good 8 inch Windows tablet with 4GB ram and a 1080P + screen. They do not exist. I have tried the HP 608, the Lenovo Thinkpad 8, Dell, various Chinese tablets.

Not one of them was worth keeping, you either had battery drain issues, some only lasted 3-4 hrs, touch screen issues like the HP 608 or various wifi issues.

Basically the cherrytrail atom chipset that could accommodate 4gb ram was a huge buggy piece of crap. EVERY 8 inch tablet that used cherrytrail was a piece of garbage with tons of issues. Intel shut down the Atom line of chipsets and has exited the small tablet field because of this.

I literally spent 6 months and probably 2500$ in total buying 8 inch 4GB ram Windows tablets and not a single one of them ran smoothly and was worth keeping. I was able to return them so I'm not out $2500 but that is how much I spent buying tablets to try out.

Give up on the idea that you can find a good reliable 8 inch Windows tablet with 4GB ram. If one was made in the entire world I would have bought it and kept it.

I ended up with a Surface 3 which runs cherrytrail but because it is a 10 inch tablet did not run into the same issues of trying to squeeze that chipset down to an 8 inch form factor. I've had the Surface 3 for about 9 months now and it has been reliable and worked well for me.

HP Recommended

@zenMen Yes I'm from Zhongshan nearing you. I think there must be some talents in Shenzhen that were able to downgrade HP BIOS , but I just don't know where exactly they are , I've also heard about hardware hacking services for Mi Pads.

Mine was purchased from a guy in Shanghai who bought them in the US, he's now supporting me for this crappy defect.

Like what you said , I love this tablet soo much and can't find anyone else to replace it, now simply I just hoping that some day HP would notice this issue and release an update for resolution. I own a Dell venue 8 pro 5855 which was similar with this tablet in hardware specifications, at first it has touch screen fail issue in certain situations, but after few months Dell release an touch screen driver update and the problem got solved. But God knows weather HP would do that 😤

Guy who sold this **bleep** to me said he will try another HP support center in Shanghai to see weather HP would admit this issue and provide any helpful information, he promise me that once they get the issue report from HP he will provide me a brand new model for replacement. I think this is the best way to get the issue out of me if everything goes well.

HP Recommended

I think the talents are service at Huaqiangbei, shenzhen. This is the major e-marketplace in china. I think this is last chance to find talent solve the issue. Before that, I will wait for HP's new bios and tell them the problem.

Anyone knows will intel publish cpu for small tablet again? is it Apollo Lake for 8 inch tablet?

HP Recommended

@ wow, usd$2500 such a big amount XD

I know surface 3 is t better than all other win tab. But it is 10inch... I have already got a 10 inch tablet that is asus t100ta with z3775.

the only thing that I can do is waiting for HP new bios released or find talent to help me downgrade the bios.

truly, if without the touch laggy problem it would a best 8 inch tablet ever. I hope intel can continue develops on mobile cpu. Do you know Apollo Lake? someone said that this is made for mobile device, right?

HP Recommended

is anyone know that the warranty is validation for global? or just in US??? Because I live in HK but I buy it from US on ebay.

HP Recommended
@zenMen warranty is global and valid on every country where the device is sold. So if the Hong Kong store sells it you are good. Mine is from the States and I got it replaced in Sydney.
HP Recommended

@zenmen sorry to say it is not going to happen, HP is not going to fix this and no one will be able to downgrade the bios. The only recourse would be to sell it and buy one that is 1.07 or lower firmware.

Lower firmware has some issues as well with sleep mode and compatibility with Win 10. It is a no win situation with this tablet. Your best bet is to sell it on Ebay and try and recover some of the costs.

HP Recommended

I have my replacement tablet with the new part number (X... instead of N...) the only difference being, as stated elsewhere, a shange in the memory chip used (Samsung instead of Hynix)

I spent the night running al the usual when you get a new windows PC (updates from MS, updates from Manufacturer, reboot and repeat) and notice that whilst trying to get the 114 BIOS (it came with 113) that the 114 BIOS was removed by HP.

In any case, I'm at the end of all the installs and the tablet is exactly the same as the previous one.

I'll repeat this, as everyone else has - the touch lag is completely, exactly the same. It doesn't change, it hasn't been fixed. It won't be fixed, obviously, the tablet has had nearly a year on the market - it's probably near the end of its first lifecycle. It's probably geting to the point where it isn't worth HP's time to try and fix the problem. The only thing letft is to return it or get rid of it. It isn't anywhere near good enough for a "Business" grade tablet. I see they're trying to market these as POS devices or business solutions for retail. If I'd had a POS terminal like this in my last shop I'd have smashed the bloody thing.

Don't waste your time - even trying to rollback the BIOS - for what? So you can have HP's overpriced tablet that you have to make excuses for?

In any case, I'm done - it was fun but I'm packing it back up and sending it back with the original. Refund time.

Cheers. I'm out! 🙂

HP Recommended
@Skrep can you provide the first 4 digits of the part number? Mine was replaced as well but I got C5C55P and it works ok with the .6 BIOS. Is yours the 128 with 4G and NFC?
HP Recommended

Hey sure thing mate.

The new tablet is:

X7A43PA - 4Gb/128Gb

for completness, the one it replaced is

N4L93PA - 4Gb/128GbA

Bth with NFC - the last one came with 1.13 installed. I can't remember what the original came with.

Cheers

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.