Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Zbook G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have an HP Zbook Thunderbolt 3 dock on my HPZbook G3.  I recently updated the BIOS and firmware to the latest version to fix other "dock" issues.  Am now at the latest for both.  The dual monitors and ethernet over the Thunderbolt 3 work, but none of the USB ports are active.

I'm certain the USB ports work, becuase they used to work prior to the BIOS and firmware update.  Neither keyboard, mouse, or USB memory work in the dock.

I've tried going to HP support and installing any of the updates with USB in it, but it hasn't worked.  I have a workaround--just plugging in to the notebook directly, but would like to get my dock fully functional.

The Device manager doesn't show any devices with issues.  I'll try to update, but I don't know which one to look at.

2016-05-09 10_08_54-Device Manager.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey Folks,

HP is dedicated to delivering quality products to meet our customer’s needs. We are listening to customer feedback on our recently released Thunderbolt Dock for use with the latest ZBooks and Elite Notebook products. We continue to work with our customers to address any issues.

Please find guidance and updates to enhance your use of the HP Thunderbolt Dock.

1. The Thunderbolt dock uses latest thunderbolt technology. For it to be fully functional, it requires the latest firmware, BIOS and drivers to function properly. Please follow step by step process as shown below in “Process for updating your unit”.
  2. Below are links to the user’s guide, Technical white paper and Using & Troubleshooting guides. Please use these to help when you have issues after you have fully updated your unit and dock as instructed above. Please note that you may have to cut and paste some of the links into your browser.
  3. If you still have issues, please call HP support. We are here and very interested in help you be successful in using the HP new Thunderbolt Dock.

Helpful Links

Users Guide: http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=11122586&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c0...

Using & Troubleshooting the Dock:  www.hp.com\support\thunderbolt3dock

Process for updating your unit

NOTE: Below instructions can also be found in Users Guide “Getting Started” à “Setting up the dock” à “Step 2: Updating your computer”

Before connecting the dock to your computer, update the BIOS, software, and drivers on your computer.

NOTE: If you do not do this, the dock might not work. For optimal performance, keep all software and drivers on your computer updated. (See Table 1)

To update the BIOS and the software and drivers:

1. Go to http://www.hp.com/support. Select Get software and drivers, enter your computer model number (located on the computer service label), and then select Find my product.
  2. Click the link for your specific computer, select your operating system, and then download the latest

BIOS, software, and drivers as follows: Intel® Thunderbolt Firmware Update Utility, Intel Thunderbolt

Secure Connect Driver, graphics drivers, ASMedia eXtensible Host Controller Driver, Broadcom Ethernet

Controller Driver, and Conexant USB Driver.

1. Install the latest BIOS.
  2. Restart the computer.
  3. Install the latest Intel Thunderbolt Secure Connect Driver.
  4. Restart the computer.
  5. Install the latest Intel Thunderbolt Firmware Update Utility
  6. Restart the computer.
  7. Install all remaining updates in any order. Restart the computer after each update.

Table 1

For all HP Thunderbolt Dock Supported Products

Component Name

Category on Product Support Page on hp.com

Where to Verify (this pertains to all notebooks)

BIOS

(BIOS)

Bios F10 Setup à System Information

Intel Thunderbolt Secure Connect Driver

(Driver - Controller)

Right click Thunderbolt Tray Icon à Settings à Details.

Intel® Thunderbolt™ Firmware Update Utility

(Firmware)

Right click Thunderbolt Tray Icon à Settings à Details. Note that numbers to left will not be directly reflected. NVM Firmware Version: 16 PD Firmware Version: 1.07.03

Intel Graphics Driver

(Driver - Graphics)

Right click on desktop à Graphics Properties (intel icon) à Options & Support à Information Center.

NVIDIA Graphics Driver

(Driver - Graphics - Nvidia)

Right click on desktop à NVIDIA control panel à System Information at bottom left.

AMD Graphics Driver

(Driver - Graphics)

Right click on desktop à Graphics Properties (at top) à Information à Software.

ASMedia eXtensible Host Controller Driver

(Driver - Chipset)

Programs & Features or Device Manager à Universal Serial Bus Controllers (Requires Dock to be plugged in).

Broadcom Ethernet Controller Driver

(Driver - Network)

Device Manager à Network adaptors (Requires Dock to be plugged in).

Conexant Audio USB Driver

(Driver - Audio)

Device Manager à Sound, video and game controllers (Requires Dock to be plugged in).

BPPSQ –

I Work on behalf of HP

I am an HP employee

View solution in original post

235 REPLIES 235
HP Recommended

DId you reimage your ZBook or using the preloaded image/OS?

One thing i often recommend is to use HP SDM (Softpaq Download Manager - www.hp.com/go/sdm) to update all drivers - and/or BIOS - it shows as not installed or new versions available. Only install hw/ component drivers, no other s/w, except you should inclued the System Essentials Softpaq (bunch of Microsoft Hotfixes for Windows) and the USB-c-Thunderbolt Thunderbolt softpaq update if not alreay selected

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Fun Fact about the SoftPaq for the ZBook G3, it's out of date and missing things. Not all the drivers and BIOS listed in there. For example, the correct BIOS is sp75837. Not in SoftPaq, but is on the site. This issue is being reported often, even post updates.

HP Recommended

I'm having USB issues as well, even after updating to latest versions of available system software. Running Win7Pro, two screens and all USB ports allocated.

Interestingly, I can sometimes get the USB ports to come to life again, by pulling the power supply to the dock and reinserting it, while ving the Zbook running on battery. I wait for the USB disconnect sound - when I reconnect power I get USB reconnect sounds for each device in the dock.

Seems like a driver issue to me, or even worse, perhaps some hardware related issue - I only lose USB connectivity once the dock gets really hot. After the second power reset this morning, the "trick" didn't work. I then put the dock in my freezer for 15 minutes, reconnected leads, and the USB ports worked again.

Might be HP rushed the testing on this particular piece of kit. Very sad.

HP Recommended

I'll also having the same issue and this is really annoying as one of the main reasons I bought this laptop was for its dock. Disappointing. Anyone from HP got any ideas?

HP Recommended

So I ran both HP SDM and Help Assistant and yet it update everything that it could and it started working - clearly a driver or two were missing.  I did notice though that Help Assistant took about 20 minutes to connect to the HP servers and grab the information required whereas SDM was pretty instant. I also just ran both at the same time.

Hope this helps 🙂

HP Recommended

I found a method that worked: 

• Update Windows
  • Update BIOS to 1.07 (SP75837)
  • Change Security for the ports in BIOS. (Advanced > Port Options > Turn port security off in the drop down)
  • Install ASMedia XHC driver (74164), Thunderbolt Secure Connection (74783)
  • Restart
  • Intel Thunderbolt Firemware Update (74938) NOTE Use the GUI installer, ThunderboltUpdater.exe. Don't launch from SoftPaq Manager.
  • Restart
HP Recommended
I have noticed though that if you're using dual monitors on the two DisplayPort connectors, the screens will flicker in and out, then eventually turn off which will light my the laptop screen and then revert back to the monitors about 20 seconds later. It's really strange as it seems to happen when new windows or programs are opened as though they're interfering somehow. I keep readjusting the plugs and the problem eventually goes away.
HP Recommended

Hey,

Here are the support documents for the dock:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05060909

Whitepaper - http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA6-5088ENW

-wes

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

The "support documents" you supplied are not available using your link.

After installing the dock and working with it for a day installing our company applications and Windows updates, the laptop completely froze with a flashing power button.  I had to do a hard reset.  Upon finally getting to a logon screen, none of the peripherals worked.  After logging in, Device Manager showed NO docking installed whatsoever.

I had HP tech on the phone today about continued issues with the Dock, performed all of these steps as well as a system restore and the docking station isn't even installed!  

Where is this support documentation??  Can you provide a VALID link?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.