Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook Folio G1 W8H19PA#UUF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have two problems:

1. One of my USB-C is not working. I have to keep following the steps from this link (https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/USB-C-port-suddenly-not-workin...). Each time, I save or update the drivers as per the link the port works but whenever I reboot my laptop it returns to not working. 

2. I can't connect to an external monitor (24") using both HDMI & VGA. My laptop won't recognise/detect the external monitor. I used another HP laptop and it could connect to the same monitor instantaneously. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

i recommend troubleshooting in 2 steps

1) run HP Image Assistant and update all drivers and BIOS for your version of Windows 10

if problem persists,

2) save all your files and documents... do a Windows full reset to clean up the system completely, on restart and login, rerun HP IA to make sure all drivers are up to date after the reset

the idea is that a system that is several years old and has had multiple OS versions updated, countless patches, driver updates, software installs can get into conflicting kernel/driver issues... Windows 10 is very good at starting from scratch, so to speak... so, give it a try

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Hey Soccer_Dan, 

So followed your advice and problem 1 (USB C port not working) is fixed. However problem 2 (connecting to external monitor) still exists. I have done a full windows reset and it still doesn't work. Any other advice? 

Extra details:

Monitor: Asus 24" LCD VE248H 

After the windows reset I downloaded the driver & updated the driver. 

connection attempt #1 - failed 

HDMI from Monitor to HDMI port on my USB C hub (Kensington SD2000P) then to my laptop via USB-C

connection attempt #2 - failed

HDMI from Monitor direct to USB C port (laptop) - doesn't work 

Cable is from Alogic USB-C to HDMI  (https://www.alogic.co/alogic-usb-c-to-hdmi-cable-with-4k-support-male-to-male-1m-retail.html)

HP Recommended

i am afraid the problem could be: the usb-c to hdmi cable, the monitor not responding properly, bios, or usb-c port (unlikely). Perhaps you could test a different display? obviously we test the laptop with our Thunderbolt dock and HP monitors, as well as with HP us-c adapters (to vga, hdmi, displayort), so it is hard to tell what might be the issue if the BIOS and drivers are up to date

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.