Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

i am reviving this thread to post the following results for the HP Zbook 15/17 G3 & G4 :

there is a BIOS bug involving the thunderbolt controller and a closed laptop lid. i have observed that anyone with a closed lid experiences more issues than someone who leaves the laptop lid open. this is on the Zbook 15 G3/G4 both. i reapplied the thunderbolt 3 firmware, rebooted and left the lid open. after reboot, i connected the thunderbolt 3 dock and it stayed connected and is visible is device manager and thunderbolt support software. please note that anyone on BIOS version 1.40 cannot roll back. unknown issue rolling back. the bios updater says the admin locked the bios rollback version, but going into settings, its not locked and i AM the admin. at any rate,  history has shown that rolling back the version does not help anyway, so do not bother. you must do a full restart to refresh the fast boot / fast startup device driver and kernel cache. 

in summary:

1) disconnected the dock

2) i reapplied the latest Thunderbolt 3 software (december 2018)

3) restarted my laptop

4) left lid OPEN

5) connected dock

with all that, it is now working. i recommend shutting down your PC first or safely removing the dock before unplugging.

update: dock still unstable. its at least connecting unlike before but it constantly disconnects. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.