Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended

I was never able to find a way around the image problem.  So I only used it to print line drawings from CAD.   I ended up replacing it with a used Designjet 800 that I refurbed just recently.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended
I have someone who will give me an HP 5500 that his business doesn't use any more. Maybe I have to take him on that and retire my 1050c. Just the 5500 is physically so much bigger and takes so much space.

Thanks for your comment.
HP Recommended

Is it a 42" or 60"?  If it's a 42", it's not much bigger than the 1050.

It's a little more expensive to operate due to the two extra colors but they make beautiful photo prints.

It depends on what you print more of; line drawings or photos.

The 800 does okay photos but not as nice as the 5500.  Does excellent line drawings.  And it's dirt cheap to operate.  Check your local Craigs list ads.  They come up on there from time to time.  I use mine just for line drawings and use a 5000 60" for photos and images.

HP Recommended
It holds 36, 42, and 60 " rolls. It's a pretty fancy plotter. Way more plotter than I need. But the price is right.
HP Recommended

If it was me, I'd take the 5500.  If you can make room for it.  I have a driver for that, if you need.  Might want to check out the condition of the printheads though.  And the belt.

HP Recommended
Do u know if that plotter uses the same ink and print heads as the 1050?
HP Recommended

The 1050 uses #80 ink and printheads.  The 5000 series uses #81.  

The DYE (not UV) printheads CAN be used in either machine but only way I've been successful with that is to actually remove the chip from the back of the printhead of one and put it on the other.  It's easy to do.  I only did it out of desperation one day when I had the 1050 go down and all I had was a printhead for the 5000 series printher on hand.

The ink tanks are much longer on the 5000 series so the 1050 ones won't fit into the 5500 slots.  I think the 1050's are 350ml and the 5500 are 700 maybe?  Nice thing is you don't have to worry about running out of ink very soon.  Some of mine have been in the machine for 4 or 5 years because I mostly do line drawing prints so doesn't use much ink.

The 5500 also came in a UV version that only uses UV ink/printheads/tubes.  Cannot mix ink supplies between the UV and the dye machines.  Supply number is #83.

Maybe go on EBAY and do some checking on pricing on the ink supplies.  I usually find them pretty inexpensive compared to other retail.  Expired doesn't matter as far as the printer is concerned.

HP Recommended

Did you figure it out? Can you plot images now?

Everything except this is gppd for me.

I can`t do nothing with this.

I try different drivers, but only this (5500) partialy working.

HP Recommended

No.  I have never figured it out.  I haved tried different 5500 driver only with limited suceess.

To plot - I generate a pdf file first.  Then send the PDF file to the plotter and it works.  A bit inconvient - but it is working for me.

HP Recommended

I try to figure it out for last few days. But no luck.

Only one small step ahead - When you use "Print in Grayscale" - bitmaps are ok.

Maybye this help somebody (drivers still 5500).

HP don`t want to help?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.