Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
T520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I previously used the rolls in this machine with great success. I tried the single sheet feeder and the feeder seems to work okay but the plotter refuses to accept sheets from the feeder, causing crumpling and jams.  I tried to re-install the roll and the messages I receive say paper cannot be detected and out of paper.  And, the animation on how to load plays over and over, while the plotter doesn't load.  I tried the troubleshooting suggestions on the HP website but no go for any of them; the plotter refuses to see the paper I am feeding.

Any insights?  many thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

hp website has lots of topics, regarding to this problem. check it out....

https://support.hp.com/nz-en/document/c03578508#AbT0

HP Recommended

This is the website I used prior to posting my question.  I went though all the steps for all troubleshooting fixes and am left here, asking again.  The plotter is just over one year old and has never even burped.  As os this moring, the same symptoms occur.

HP Recommended

Try cleaning line sensor ( blue LED that reads paper edge when loading ) on the carriage. It detects the paper edge and if dirty you have a problem with loading paper.

There is also a wipe ( small yellow brush) on service station that is used to clean line sensor clean that wipe too.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Had a look at that but cannot access the carriage to see the blue LED.

When I turn on the plotter, the default paper is the multi-sheet tray.  When I select roll, the animation to load a roll of paper plays.  When I close the paper roll lid and press 'load roll', the animation plays again and the plotter makes no sound, movement, anything.  The animation is the only choice to see.  If I choose multi-sheet tray, the plotter reports it's out of paper.  When I add paper and try to load it, the drive on the multi-sheet tray advances the sheet but the plotter does not accept it.  I press load again and the drive in the tray actuates again but the plotter doesn't move and causes a crumpled sheet.

It's the plotter's internal rollers that do not accept the sheet, no matter what type of media I am trying to load.

Thank you for the input!

HP Recommended

Have you checked multi-sheet tray for foreign objects that can cause blocking paper path? Clean rollers for paper pickup on the multi-sheet tray. Replace OOPS sensor, forget about carriage line sensor for now.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

The multi-sheet tray is clear, the gears on the side work smoothly; there is nothing hindering its operation.  I do not know what the OOPS sensor is, I'm not a tech, just an end-user.  The problem seems to be in the plotter itself; the rollers do not turn to accept a roll or single sheet or from the multi-sheet tray.

This is and was the first time I used the multi-sheet tray.  It produced two 11x17 prints then the problem started.  I went back to the roll and the message the plotter gives me is that it cannot load the roll as it cannot detect any paper.  I unload and reload the roll, remove and replace the multi-sheet tray, check and re-check the out-of-paper sensor assembly...  The plotter refuses to recognize any paper being loaded.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I've gone through to this point, removing the clipped-in sensor head, checking the cable, and reinstalling the head.  I may dig deeper but would be very surprised if the cable is damaged or needs replacing since this plottoer is still relatively new.  But, I will look at the cable, check the manual cited and check.  Again, I'm not a technician but an end-user.  Though I can understand where the two may become one over time!  😉

Thank you for the help!

HP Recommended

all printers has media sensor which detect the media going thru... if paper go thru & printer did not detect , it

mean the media sensor is not working... very simple.

I doubt your cable broke.. maybe loose connection or check it out calmly & carefully.

Try load roll paper & align to blue line & see printer accepted or not.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.