Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
omen 880
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

(SOLVED ON PAGE 2)

after the latest windows update it seems a lot of us are getting around a 5-10 min wait time for explorer.exe to actually kick in, all we see is a black screen and it seems to only effect HP computers.

Do we have any news on fixing this? reading the threads it seems some people have
>reinstalled windows and turned off auto updates
>put their computer/laptop into hibernation whenever they are not using it
>uninstalling graphic drivers
>returning their computers for a full refund 😉

Is this something HP knows about and will there be a hotfix?

The updates in question are >
2017-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4038788)
2017-09 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4038806)
(The only two updates that were done today when the problem started)

Seems you can get to task manager and use "new task" to run things like chrome.exe so you don't have to wait for the screen to come on.

Anyone manage to fix this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I can confirm that this awesome man has saved the day! Thank you RolfHardi!

Disabling app readiness service does indeed solve this problem,  (no need for a clean boot)Untitled.png

This is still just a work around though and once microsoft has fixed the problem we should all remember to re-enable the service (it does sound kinda important if you create a new user)

View solution in original post

207 REPLIES 207
HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue here with my brand new Spectre X360 after this Windows Update.    I saw that some systems have "black screen" problems based on old graphics drivers with new Windows Updates.

I've done a system restore to a point where I could see my screen.  I have updated the Intel Graphics Driver and am now trying the Windows Update once again.

I'm hoping that this will work.

HP Recommended

I had the same issue too and my temperary solution is to revert the system to previous time point and disable the update before Windows or HP can give any solution. This is super annoying and I waited hp custom service for 20 mins yet still  no one available to talk with me.

Please let us know your solution, HP :HalfEyes: 

HP Recommended

Is there a way to disable the update on Windows 10 Home Edition?  I'm not finding a way in the "Home Edition" - this seems to only be available in "Pro".

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Thanks qx3,

At least I'm running now (based on a restore point and disabled updates) and I can get through some presentations tomorrow before trying again.

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue. It seems explorer.exe starts on its own after 5-10 minutes. I can't seem to manually start it, though. I can manually start other programs just fine. The problem started when my computer updated today. The updates it installed were:

- 2017-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4038788)

- 2017-09 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4038806)

- Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, 2016 x64 Edition September 2017 (KB890830)

It has tried and failed to install this update numerous times:

- HP Development Company, L.P. - System - 5/26/2017 12:00:00 AM - 6.0.21.1

I don't know of any solutions. However, I tried creating a new user account, and the taskbar and desktop on that account start up perfectly fine. My main account isn't linked to my Microsoft account, so I don't *think* it's trying to authenticate it... I've done a number of other things such as SFC scans and updating drivers manually, but nothing has worked.

One temporary solution might be to create a new user account and migrate your data to that account. Hopefully HP will put out a fix.

HP Recommended

Sorry I have no fix, but just advising that the same thing happenned to me tonight on my brand new HP OMEN870 running Windows 10, NVIDIA  GTX1060. Updates occurred in the background and I was unaware of it. When I restarted the computer, black screen for 10 minutes, then (finally) the desktop appeared. Tried several things but no joy.  I do still see the cursor.

I am not going to try uninstalling or Restore Point yet as a fix may be coming.

I don't believe its hardware because, for one thing, all the programs I run still work fine, but without the desktop. It also occurred IMMEDIATELY after the updates on 09/12/17 were installed (e.g. KB4038788, KB4038806). 

I can still use my OMEN computer to run programs (but without the desktop visible) by doing the following:

1) Started task manager using CTRL-ALT-DEL. From there, I can select "File->Run new task" in the pulldown.

2) I either typed-in the name of the program OR selected "Browse" to find it on the hard-drive.

3) Clicked  "OK".

4) In my case, all programs ran fine.

5) Desktop appeared about 10-min later.

Hope this gets fixed soon - arrggghhhh!

T

HP Recommended

Same problem here. Occured last night right after Windows update on my brand new All in one desktop.

After trying a few things that didn't work I have done a system restore and hopefully turned off the auto updates until the problem can be fixed.

Really frustrating. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

OMEN 17-w220nr same problem (Windows 10 Pro 64bit, NVIDIA  GTX1060).

KB4038788 arrived yesterday. Black screen for 5-10 minutes after reboot.

I uninstalled antivirus, updated VGA driver, nothing happened.

I restored Windows 10 to an earlier restore point, I was able to do so temporarily.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.