Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Thank you ever so much :generic:

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You may even be able to update the BIOS using this method, but you would need to delete all of the Microcode flash files off of the flash drive and replace them with the BIOS flash files. I believe the BIOS files use the same Flashbin command, so you wouldn't want to have cross contamination.  :generic:

If you want me to upload the BIOS flash files for you, I can, or you can run the BIOS update yourself and follow the instructions,and make a bootable CD.

Please post back and let me know how the microcode update went.

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi paul, I did what you said up to the booting part. It doesnt want to boot from the USB flash drive, I hit F9, selected Usb drive, it just seems to carry on to the normal OS. I think I am doing something wrong on the Utility to format the USB. I selected the actual USB, then it had many different options like Start up Disk or File system......, I am Kind of confused, I have made a bootable CD for the BIOS already, I just need this microcode thing to work.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Sorry my instructions didn't work.

How about making a bootable CD using the same instructions you did for the BIOS files then.

Just copy those microcode files onto the CD instead, if you can.

Paul

HP Recommended
That's alright, I have updated to the new 1.61 BIOS successfully, just need this microcode to work, but I am stuck.
HP Recommended

Hi Paul, 

I was able to make it bootable for the microcode update, but I didn't do it because it said I already had the existing 1.11 Version which was the latest so I didnt bother.

So I have sorted out the Bios and also the Microcode Update, I guess all I have left now is the Installation of the CPU itself. 🙂

Thanks for all your help.

HP Recommended

Superb!

You're ready to go!

Should be smooth sailing.

Paul

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul.

HP Recommended

Im Going slightly off topic here, but I only have 1GB of Memory in the DC7600, Im thinking of maxing it out with 4GB.

I don't think I will be able to do any Graphic's card updates because the PSU is only 240w.

I am unable to think of any other modifications I can do to this PC, other than overclocking the CPU, but I dont think I should because, Firstly I have never overclocked a PC, Secondly the PD is already warm, Thirdly I'm thinking about giving the CPU a good life.

But, I dunno, just curious, what have you done to your DC7600?

HP Recommended

Hi:

I have the CMT, so I had more options, but here is what you can do...

1. Max out the memory. Check to see what speed your current 1 GB is (I dunno if you have 2 x 512 or 1 x 1 GB).

But if yours was like mine, HP skimped and put in PC2-4200 memory which only runs at 533 MHz.

I would go with 4 x 1 GB of PC2-6400 memory which should cost the same as PC2-5300 memory, but you can use it on another PC that may be able to run the memory at 800 MHz (such as a dc7700, 7800 or 7900).

The memory in the dc7600 will only run at a max of 667 MHz.

Upgrading the video card will be challenging but doable, and I would do it to free up some of your system memory which is currently going to the onboard video, and you will also have better video performance.

A Dell Radeon 2400 HD low profile card would work just fine with your P/S. You can get them used on eBay.

You just have to be careful to get one with a DVI port and not a DMS-59 dual head port if you only use one monitor. Otherwise you need to purchase a different video cable that splits to 2 monitors and you would be leaving one of those disconnected.

This is the lowest priced one I could find which has a single DVI out port and S video out port. Advertised as low profile and has the low profile bracket according to the description.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RADEON-HD2400XT-256MB-PCI-EXPRESS-GRAPHICS-CARD-LOW-PROFILE-CN-0FM351-/221...

I used this one in a Dell low profile PC and it worked fine. I also swapped the bracket off of another one I bought and put it in a dc7100 CMT and it worked fine too.

Doesn't matter that the part was made for Dell.

I also like that it has a heat sink only, which keeps the PC quiet.

You will get a better WEI score over the current onboard graphics.

A cost effective upgrade to boost your video performance a little, and give you HD digital video instead of VGA analog (if you have a LCD monitor with a DVI input).

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.